Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just acquired a fairly new KHS solo one se single speed 29'er...never owned a single speed before.

gimme some general tips, folks. this IS the general discussion board, after all.
 

·
Retired User
Joined
·
854 Posts
mikeb said:
no disrespect intended, but just what the hell constitutes "general discussion"?
Primarily meaningless banter with the occasional lesson in existentialism.
Acceptable topics may include :
clipless v flats
eggs v spds
tubeless v tubes
buy local v buy cheap
gun owners v tree huggers
what to wear when it's cold outside
links to retarded craigslist posts
funny videos that highdelll posts
jenson usa and price point are awesome threads

As an owner of two single speeds myself, welcome, they are full of radness. My only tip is kinda obvious - you stand up to shift. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
wbmason55 said:
Primarily meaningless banter with the occasional lesson in existentialism.
Acceptable topics may include :
clipless v flats
eggs v spds
tubeless v tubes
buy local v buy cheap
gun owners v tree huggers
what to wear when it's cold outside
links to retarded craigslist posts
funny videos that highdelll posts
jenson usa and price point are awesome threads

As an owner of two single speeds myself, welcome, they are full of radness. My only tip is kinda obvious - you stand up to shift. :thumbsup:
Well-played :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
wbmason55 said:
Primarily meaningless banter with the occasional lesson in existentialism.
Acceptable topics may include :
clipless v flats
eggs v spds
tubeless v tubes
buy local v buy cheap
gun owners v tree huggers
what to wear when it's cold outside
links to retarded craigslist posts
funny videos that highdelll posts
jenson usa and price point are awesome threads

As an owner of two single speeds myself, welcome, they are full of radness. My only tip is kinda obvious - you stand up to shift. :thumbsup:
Best response ever in the history of MTBR!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
I really like having shorter shocks due to the amount of time out of saddle. I ride 80 mm. I used to ride with a handle bar lock out 110 mm Rock Shox SID and swore by that until I tried the shorter fork. They have a lockout on the top of right leg, but I rarely use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
I try and not use my brakes as much as possible. Espically at the end of the a downhill as mommentum is your friend. Everytime I hit the brakes all I think about is I am going to have to pedal to get that speed back. I also start peddling ealier than I used too. Where I used to coast and relax at a flat spot or small decline I pedal now to get my speed and momentum up. I also switched to low rolling resistance tires and they seem to help alot.

I notice that I also look for the smoothest lines now so I can keep momentum up. If you always keep momentum in the back of your head then it will help you out alot. I also geared my bike way down in the beginning until I got stronger then I started to gear it up alittle. It was more important for me to make the whole ride than be alittle faster on the flat stuff with a taller gear. And even with my low gearing 32/20 I am able to keep up with my group on the flats and on downhills I am right with them. I just pedal as fast as I can in the beginning of the downhill until I max out and coast and use momentum the rest of the way if possible or until I am slow enough to pedal again. I max out around 15-20mph on the flats.

I also use a remote lockout for when I am standing and pedaling which is probably 75% of the time for me. Don't know if that is required but I can't stand the bob of my 125mm RS psylo's when I am mashing.
 

·
Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
Joined
·
552 Posts
--Don't get stuck behind some one with gears when riding up a hill, unless they're on a SS. Once you lose speed going up a hill, you may not get it back.
--pick a smooth line
--loose the squishy fork and get a 2.5 front tire w/ lower pressure.
--Ride, smile and pedal damn it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
mikeb said:
i've just acquired a fairly new KHS solo one se single speed 29'er...never owned a single speed before.

gimme some general tips, folks. this IS the general discussion board, after all.
Tip #1: You will get the best singlespeed tips by asking on the singlespeed board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
henrymiller1 said:
--Don't get stuck behind some one with gears when riding up a hill, unless they're on a SS. Once you lose speed going up a hill, you may not get it back.
--pick a smooth line
--loose the squishy fork and get a 2.5 front tire w/ lower pressure.
--Ride, smile and pedal damn it.
The racer in me just can't go to a tire that big!! I have 2.35 on my FS and they seem HUGE enough.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top