Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering something. I have done 4 solo 24's on a single speed. As with most things, I have been getting better and better at it. I have no problems doing 300k/199Mi unsupported and feel that I could do 350km/220Mi if I had some support. As filling up bidons at 3am takes some time.

At my last event I covered more ground than some sponsored riders with two bikes and a number of helpers. This has got me thinking. How would I go if I had a f/s geared bike. Has anyone done a solo 24 on a single speed as well as a f/s gear bike? Does f/s and gears make a difference?

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Done both

I have raced 24 hr and endurance events on my SS and a FS. Although I had my best race (mileage wise) on a SS I am pretty sure I would have done better on my Ellsworth. As long as the FS gearie is pretty efficient and not too heavy I think it definitely gives a rider an advantage(assuming the course is actually bumpy/technical).
Who needs advantages? They are over rated.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
positron said:
I was just wondering something. I have done 4 solo 24's on a single speed. As with most things, I have been getting better and better at it. I have no problems doing 300k/199Mi unsupported and feel that I could do 350km/220Mi if I had some support. As filling up bidons at 3am takes some time.

At my last event I covered more ground than some sponsored riders with two bikes and a number of helpers. This has got me thinking. How would I go if I had a f/s geared bike. Has anyone done a solo 24 on a single speed as well as a f/s gear bike? Does f/s and gears make a difference?
I go farther, faster, and more comfortably on the FS. But I suffer less afterwards if I race the SS.

If I want a good overall result, I race the FS. If I want to have a good time, go fast, and not be too beat up the next day, I race the SS.

This might give you some more insight:
http://www.zipp.com/athletes/adventures/solo.shtml

Cheers,

MC

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Forget which bike...

how well would you go if you had a little support! :D

I think it would always depend, some courses may compliment a single speed while others would put it at a disadvantage. In those instances the FS geared bike would be the choice. Otherwise it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. Especially when you throw in those moments of complacency (going to the easiest gear because you're tired).

my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.