Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how SS does for trail riding, I'm building up a hardtail and need to conserve all the cash I can, and it looks like going SS would definitely be a cheaper route. However, I want to be able to trail ride with it, not to mention DJ, (by the time I do any DH or DS i'll have gears).

·
Pro Crastinator
11,780 Posts
personally, i wouldn't do it. i run a SS for my DJ bike, but if i had to gear it so climbing was a possibility, it would be geared too low for anything else. you would easily spin out in all other situations and that would suck.. but again, that's just my opinion....

·
Pro Crastinator
11,780 Posts
mtbames190 said:
ss works good for trail riding. its alot eiser if ur wearing clips. i have rode alot of Xc on my p1 with ss on it.
what gears are you running? i am using a 32/16 and climbing with it is out of the question....

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
climbing on a singlespeed greatly depends on the geometry of your bike. If you convert an XC bike to Single speed thats differnt than climbing a hill on a p1/p2/p3 etc. I'm all about 2:1 as well on my SS bike but i wouldn't want to trail ride on too many dirt jumping type frames...

·
pin it to win it
541 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
what gears are you running? i am using a 32/16 and climbing with it is out of the question....
im using the stock 32/16 on the p1. climbing is actually pretty easy with clips on. but with out clips it sucks

·
Pro Crastinator
11,780 Posts
Ojai Bicyclist said:
....I can climb better on my SS than on my old Stumpjumper hardtail...
this statement makes absolutely no sence. it's the equivalent of saying that i can jump better on my Marzocchi DJ1 than i could on my Foes ZigZag....

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
I trail ride/jump/urban on a SS hardtail, geared 32/16. Great for most trails, but limits your climbing ability and top end speed when descending. It will top out on long downhills, but this is rarely an issue for me. Climbing can be a b!tch, but attack a hill fast and hammer out of the saddle, and you'll be surprised on what you can crest. Technical climbs and super steep ones are usually out of the question. Otherwise, the simplicity of a SS rig is a blessing, you'll find yourself concentrating more on your line and flow than operating a complex drivetrain, and the 2:1 gear ratio is just about perfect for maintaining a nice, quick pace. I find that I often ride faster on the SS than I would normally because the gear ratio forces you to keep up the pace. I'd do it, especially if you have another bike that has a traditional drivetrain. You'll learn more about riding by cruising on the SS.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
this statement makes absolutely no sence. it's the equivalent of saying that i can jump better on my Marzocchi DJ1 than i could on my Foes ZigZag....
he has a DOC...thats what he means by saying SS. so therefore, it makes sense.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
I have cranked up hills with 2:1 gearing that people with gears had to walk.

It's not a bad gear, and have found that anything you have to walk up would have you crawling at the same or lower speed with a geared bike. If you are not in good shape, it could be an issue though....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts