Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Didn't mean to make you mad. There's not a lot that's different about SS training vs geared to me. It takes me less than a week to adjust from one back to the other although its a little easier going SS to gears than gears to SS. I race both throughout the year and just spend more time on whichever one I'm going to be racing next.

This time of year I ride the SS almost exclusively because it's just so much easier keeping the drivetrain together!

·
Registered
53 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the difference in terrain between your training grounds and the area where you will be racing. If it is relatively flat in your area compared to where you will race than train with a big gear and race with a smaller gear. That is the only thing I do different from geared training.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i am racing SS this year for endurance events.

everyone i've talked to / read (Friel, Morris, kreitzel, ultra-cyclist, etc..) has led me to realize you cannot properly train on a singlespeed. doesn't mean you can't train, just not for best results.

like namrita, i do all my MTB training on an SS. however, road / trainer riding is geared only (and this is a lot of my training time). YMMV.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"everyone i've talked to / read (Friel, Morris, kreitzel, ultra-cyclist, etc..) has led me to realize you cannot properly train on a singlespeed. "

Same people might suggest that you cannot properly race on a single speed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Last year was my first time doing endurance events and I did 95% of my training on SS because I was just too lazy to fix up my geared bike. No complaints. Even my road work/commuting was done on a fixie. The only special measure i took was to train in a taller gear than I raced in, that really helped me to keep my pace under control during the races to prevent blowing up early.

Ride whatcha got.

·
Registered
454 Posts
weight train!

I've found that I race and ride better in general on the SS when I incorporate some weight or core type training. Lots of quality time spent with "Ursula" (my swiss ball:D ). Riding the SS takes a lot more upper body strength due to all the climbing done while standing. I also ride/race road, and do hill repeats on my road fixie with a big(for me) gear. My SS is my only MTB, and I try to get in 2 to 3 rides on it a week, with at least one being a 5 to 10 hr epic on the weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.