Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
10....Pshhhh Thats double digits above Zero. Let us know when it gets double digits below Zero, not including the windchill.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd just about pay for some cold weather. It's been mid 60's here all winter (Virginia). We have had two days that have been below 40. That's it.

I grew up playing hockey and snow skiing, and I miss the cold. Me and warm weather don't go together...

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
yes, I called the lot of you sissies...I am ready to go to work...and its 10 degrees. I'll show you pics...
Yeah, you got me pegged. :thumbsup: Its been between 6 and mid 20's here for a while. SoCal made me soft.... that and I don't like riding on ice :rolleyes:

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
lane said:
-35c without the windchill a couple of days ago. My hubs froze up on the way to work. I hate winter.
time to go fixie.:thumbsup:

It is just below freezing here in South Texas. The whole state is pretty much closed today.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
so what do you extreme commuters use to keep the hands and feet warm?

currently i am good to about 20... below that and by the time i get to the end of my 45 min-1hr commute my hands are in pain from the cold.

my girlfriend rides with me and for her it is even worse.

what are the ULTIMATE gloves for this sh!t?

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
max-a-mill said:

currently i am good to about 20... below that and by the time i get to the end of my 45 min-1hr commute my hands are in pain from the cold.

I use Bates 922 tropical military boot.

www.batesfootwear.com

I use a combination of socks to insulate. Smatwool. Wool. Other synthetic socks. I have a tan pair that are thick and short that I am particularly fond of, but I have no idea what they are. I mix those with some thin liners when needed. I keep everything real loose except the boot laces. Constrict the foot, and any foot gets cold.

For the hands I use some old Specialized Blob short fingered biking gloves with some long cuff Burton, Gore-Tex snowboard gloves. I add the liners when needed. Loose fitting is the key for me here as well. Nice and layered, but not constricted. The biking gloves not only help with warmth, but they take up palm space in the outer gloves. I hate extra, loose fabric between my hands/grips/gloves.

The most important part for me is Under Armor. I don't leave home without a tight fitting Under Armor shirt, and Under Armor skull cap. Keep the core warm longer, and the extremities will also stay warm longer.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pile

max-a-mill said:

that pile of clothes you saw: whitewater rafting fleece shirt. thick biking pants, shorts, wool socks, Kombi skiing gauntlet style gloves with heat pockets. Borah booties. Goretex pants, goretex jacket, ski goggles, helmet cover, thing around my neck that covers my face, skull cap, and my huevos are rancheros.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
sissies?

hmm...it's currently a tropical -8F here(Winnipeg)...-31F with the windchill....this is the warmest it's been here in almost two weeks...freewheels don't work too well around here in winter...

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Rainman said:
It has been around 30 to 38 degrees celsius here in sunny Oz.

Australia.....beautiful one day, perfect the next... :D

R.
I was in the Adelaide Hills in November. It was positively perfect! Odd seeing spring flowers when one just had to rake leaves at home.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
IAmCosmo said:
I'd just about pay for some cold weather. It's been mid 60's here all winter (Virginia). We have had two days that have been below 40. That's it.

I grew up playing hockey and snow skiing, and I miss the cold. Me and warm weather don't go together...
I feel your pain. I'm in VA too. We've had many more than just a couple days below 40, or 30 for that matter, but yes, very mild winter overall. I'm right down the street from Wintergreen at the base of the Mtn. and we keep getting freezing overnight temps at the house, yet it stays warm up at the top of the Mtn. Pretty damn annoying!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.