Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

single speed roadbike

3K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Normbilt 
#1 ·
what gear ratios do you guys use on your road bikes

#4 ·
if youre riding mostly flat, you could easily do 52:16, my brother has that on his SS and it moves. but it depends how your riding...city riding has lots of stop and go, so even if its flat...super high gearing isnt optimal because of acceleration...of course if you want to do long rides...you dont want to be spinning the whole time with a lower gear

#15 ·
48X18 in the Southern Appalachians. I find myself occasionally wishing for something larger on some of the flatter stuff (especially when riding with "roadies") but we have a lot of short steep stuff and some sustained (6-10 miles long) climbs that average 6-10% with some steep spikes and it works out pretty good for here.

#16 ·
Fixed I generally run 39x15, single-speed something a bit bigger depending on the terrain. As a tip the 39 is a great tooth count because you can use your "worn-out" road ring and flip it and you're good to go. I've been riding that gear size all over the PacNW for 20 years, and I'm getting ready roll it here in PA in sub-freezing weather.

#22 ·
48-16 for road tires in the summer
48-22 for studs in winter
44-22 for offroad on CX tires

front range alberta foothills. i could not imagine pushing larger than a 48-16 unless i was going downhill...some of you guys must be monsters!

#26 ·
themanmonkey said:
If you really want to man up I've got 130 bcd Paragon 60 and 62 tooth chainrings in the bin.
Bah... running a 64 tooth Paragon here (26 in the back though)

I just have this setup on my commuter which works great for stop and go plus I always wanted to use that monster ring on something. Gets a lot of fun reactions before the actual gear inch is figured out. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.