Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
if youre riding mostly flat, you could easily do 52:16, my brother has that on his SS and it moves. but it depends how your riding...city riding has lots of stop and go, so even if its flat...super high gearing isnt optimal because of acceleration...of course if you want to do long rides...you dont want to be spinning the whole time with a lower gear

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
48/18 and 48/20 depending on whether it's my fixie or my fatter tyred (40mm) road bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
46/17 fixed. 46/19 ss. The ss is geared lower than the fixed because the ss will see some hilly 50 milers now and then. The fixed is just a toy for cruising around the city and going in circles backwards.

·
Registered
137 Posts
42x16 is pretty low for flats - unless you enjoy spinning like a madman

i live near seattle on a plateu, lots of hills in the area and i run a 44x15 or 42x15 depending on what im doing

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
48X18 in the Southern Appalachians. I find myself occasionally wishing for something larger on some of the flatter stuff (especially when riding with "roadies") but we have a lot of short steep stuff and some sustained (6-10 miles long) climbs that average 6-10% with some steep spikes and it works out pretty good for here.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Fixed I generally run 39x15, single-speed something a bit bigger depending on the terrain. As a tip the 39 is a great tooth count because you can use your "worn-out" road ring and flip it and you're good to go. I've been riding that gear size all over the PacNW for 20 years, and I'm getting ready roll it here in PA in sub-freezing weather.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.