Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of two things is gonna happen here... either i am gonna be ignored, or all hell is gonna break loss and everyone will frown upon my foolish questioning and then ignore everything else i say from here on in!!

But... I am wondering if any of you crazy single speed folk can recommend a great frame to me so that I can build my very first single speed bling bling machine. With so many frames on the market i am not quite sure where to start and which are the better builds, etc...

I am wanting to spend around the 200 - 500 dollar mark on a frame.

My use for this bike is commutting, showing off to my friends, converting anyone else i bump into, feeling proud of something that i have built, trucking my british bulldog around, racing, and doing some single speed off road. So basically an alround fun bike, but single speed specific.

Any thoughts on frame makers, and specific frames I should be looking at?

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
can't go wrong with a surly 1x1. tough frames, great riding, the price is right, a tad on the heavy side but who cares. i've got a whole fleet of bikes, some quite high end, and my surly is the only one that sees dirt any more. run it rigid, with fatties...

·
Registered
291 Posts
On*One

Recently built an On*One Inbred, frame was cheap, light, and the bike rides great! I'd recommend it to anybody. Trying to get the wife converted from a gearie to SS now. She rode mine this weekend for a bit, and with the exception of being hesitant about climbing with it she really liked the bike.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Just how big a boy are ya?

If you're over about 5'8" (1.72m,) may I recommend that you seriously take a look at the Surly Karate Monkey. It's a 29", and I think it's the bee's knees. Super versitile, you can set it up for serious one-speed off-road action, road training, fixed gear (on or off-road,) and even *gasp!* put gears on it, if you needed to do something like pull a trailer or sumthin' like that.
$450 retail, and I'd bet you could even get a deal on a used one if you looked around.
There. That's gotta be worth at least half a peso.

the los

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems to be some votes for the surly so far, and I am gonna have a look into them alongside the on one's... anyone have any thoughts on the zion EBB, or the Bianchi PUSS?

Are there any other frames that would be of recommendation...?

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Jade said:
seems to be some votes for the surly so far, and I am gonna have a look into them alongside the on one's... anyone have any thoughts on the zion EBB, or the Bianchi PUSS?

Are there any other frames that would be of recommendation...?
I really liked the feel of the On-One Inbred I had. I sold it cause I wanted something with discs. Now they have an ebb version. Also check with Soma, they fabricate out of Reynolds. Like others, you could not go wrong with Surly, Kona, On-One, or Soma IMO. The KM is the most flexible. Have fun, and good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the Soul Cycles Hooligan looks mildly interesting, and corresponds to your criteria, but unless you specifically want an AL frame, i wouldn't bother, as steel is preferable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bling bling for a first frame i think... but when i add some thomson and paul components it will most definatly be a bling bling machine!

;)

Would love a custom frame, but having it shipped to Australia would cost a fortune so i need to keep my price range around the 200 - 500 mark so i can also pay for shipping and customs tax...

·
me likey bikey
46 Posts
Hey mate,

I'm a Melbourne guy myself and recently upgraded from a converted to a SS specific frame.

As you already know we get pretty gouged down here on bike parts which limits your choices within your price-range.

Bang for buck you'd be hard pressed to beat the surly. I think its something like $650 for the frame and fork (dirtworks listed rrp). I put a surly fork on my frame and it cost me $170 on its own. Can't really speak for the pros/cons of a steel frame, I've only got experience with aluminium.

The frame I ended up getting was the Giant two2one. I've had a couple of Giant's and in my opinion they've a rock solid bike/frame. I managed to get mine through the LBS for a good price, $1000 is rrp but like everything in bikes, what you end up paying really depends on your relationship with the shop. The frame is light and does what its supposed to do, however you may wish to know that the discmount on the rear is a tad fugly and the matt paint, while sweet looking, marks easier than a regular gloss finish (which I think the surly's have).

A couple of shops (Pushi for one) are doing Spot frames but thats starting to get a tad pricey.

I'd be happy to recommend the shop where i got my giant and surly fork from if you wish, could probably get me some kudos with the LBS as well, just repost or PM.

If you decide to go either the surly or the giant its nice to know that they get shipped out fast by their respective distributors, 1 or 2 working days. (Shimano as well but you were'nt asking that). Could depend on the store I guess.

Sorry this post turned out so long mate but I need someone to talk bikes to, my girlfirends eyes go a bit blank if I go on too long!

Best of luck anyway buddy and let us know how you go!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey matey, thanks for the rsponse, and also a huge thank you to everyone else... single speed lot seem pretty chilled so far!!

Where you located in Melbourne... I am a city lad.

I am starting to seriously consider the surly in white now, and also having a squizz at the soma 4one5 as possible options.

You shop at lygon street cycles yeah? What are the spot frames going for at pushi?

·
me likey bikey
46 Posts
yeah Lygon Cycles, thats my shop, live right near them. How'd you guess that one? can't recommend them highly enough.

truth be told I only dropped into Pushi for the first time ever about a week ago and they had a few (3 or 4) Spot frames in there, one built up I think. Didn't get prices however.

SHM at QV also had a Cannondale 1FG out on display a few weeks ago, not sure if its still there.

There's a bloke who post in a number of bike forums, Tawoombah Raider (?), who rides a surly, I don't know him personally but I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a review on the frame.

You're going to love whatever you get but just dont compromise on anything (if you can afford it) otherwise it'll irk you whenever you ride your new pride and joy and you'll just end up upgrading anyway. I was going to try and save some cash and grab some 2nd hand cranks but ended up springing for some hones, look sweet as. Can't say they're any better than my old square taper bio-pace cranks but when you're building a bike theres no reason to compromise, its only money and you can always make some more!

enjoy and keep us informed!

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Jade said:
Hey matey, thanks for the rsponse, and also a huge thank you to everyone else... single speed lot seem pretty chilled so far!!

Where you located in Melbourne... I am a city lad.

I am starting to seriously consider the surly in white now, and also having a squizz at the soma 4one5 as possible options.

You shop at lygon street cycles yeah? What are the spot frames going for at pushi?
The Soma effective top tube lengths listed on their website are very short. I'd be careful about buying one sight unseen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.