Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's time to get some new wheels for my singlespeed mountainbike.

I've been riding a hope singlespeed hub for a long time but it has finally decided to give up the ghost. Should I get a new hope singlespeed wheel (which they only buid with their narrow xc hoops) or get myself some DT Swiss geared wheels? 29er with QR dropouts.

I do not want to go custom builder as I don't have the money.

I see that DT make a wheelset that is rated for e-bikes that has a steel freewheel. It's a little hefty at over 2kg for the set.
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products...-mountain/h-1950-classic/h-1950-classic-25mm/
Or will a regular wheel do?

Thank you.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
If your old rim is still good why not just replace the hub if the old hub is truly dead. Can you fix the old hub? Rebuild it? Should be able to as long as the hub body is good. Even if you have tr replace the free hub body and all the bearings you'd be out a lot less than you would be with a new wheelset.

As far as that DT Swiss wheelset...I'm sure it would be ok. I'd definitely upgrade the star ratchet on the hub. No way in hell I'd want to ride single speed on an 18 poe hub. Have you checked your LBS to see what they charge to build wheels? I had my last wheelset built on WTB Asym i35 rims laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs for about the same that you are going to pay for that DT Swiss wheelset.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I agree rebuild of possible. But if the hub is toast imho it ain't worth rebuilding unless you can do it yourself. I say get you a China carbon wheel. I have had 2 so far and for my bigger self they are a total revelation. No more flex rims. I tore a spoke out of one recently and the rim is still dead true. I was a skeptical as anyone. But carbon rims (especially cheap ones) are one of the best upgrades you can make. Not a shill for em but I got 2 shl rims on formula hubs for less than metal wheels and they have been the best rear wheels i have had after plenty of handbuilt ones. No offense to the builders; carbon rims are just that good!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I agree rebuild of possible. But if the hub is toast imho it ain't worth rebuilding unless you can do it yourself. I say get you a China carbon wheel. I have had 2 so far and for my bigger self they are a total revelation. No more flex rims. I tore a spoke out of one recently and the rim is still dead true. I was a skeptical as anyone. But carbon rims (especially cheap ones) are one of the best upgrades you can make. Not a shill for em but I got 2 shl rims on formula hubs for less than metal wheels and they have been the best rear wheels i have had after plenty of handbuilt ones. No offense to the builders; carbon rims are just that good!
who do you get your china plastic hoops from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.