Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of doing a Single Speed Conversion or taking off one of the Chainrings on my Komodo 2.0.

For the SS, do I need to get a new hub? or just swap the cassette?

For the 1x8 when I take off the Chainring do I need to add a spacer or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I assume you're running an 8 speed cassette in the back. For 1x8, just remove the ring you dont want. I suggest buying a chainguide, because they work wonders for the whole "not dropping the chain" thing. You don't need a spacer for the front chainring.

For 1x1, there are several things you can do. First, do you know what ratio you want? what are you going to be doing with it? DJ's? trails? XC? If you don't know, heres what I would suggest. Leave the rear gears on, and lock out the rear derailler into a specific ring using the limit screws and a peice of cable locked out within the derailler. If you don't know what I mean, feel free to ask, but your best bet is probably to take it to a shop and tell them. When you settle on a gear ratio that you like, pull the cassette and buy a bunch of 8spd cassette spacers, and toss em on - basically reuse the old hub, and pull all the unneeded gears off. Or you can buy a new SS hub thats a little lighter, but you'll still have to play with the spacing.

Edit: that response was all over the place. I'll try and clean it up later, haven't had any coffee yet.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
bcurneen said:
I was thinking of doing a Single Speed Conversion or taking off one of the Chainrings on my Komodo 2.0.

For the SS, do I need to get a new hub? or just swap the cassette?
Nope, just a SS kit, has cob spacers etc that drops in place of the cassette. You may need a chain tensioner though.

bcurneen said:
For the 1x8 when I take off the Chainring do I need to add a spacer or something?

Thanks
No spacers needed, but as mentioned a chain retention device of some sort would be good, I'm an advocate of the bash sandwich...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.