Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ride rock gardens, steep inclines, and just harsh trails with their single speed? Currently I live in Austin and I am thinking about building up a 29er single speed but Im not sure if they can handle the conditions out here. What are your opinions of SS compared to geared bikes for this area? Need to build a bike to handle those conditions, easy to clean, and somewhat light.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes. I just picked up a GT Peace 9r last week and I'm loving it. I haven't done anything more technical than Walnut Creek yet and plan on keeping my greared, full squish Yeti for those long and/or more technical rides. If its gonna be your only bike, I would say stick with gears and suspension, but a SS makes a fun and affordable second bike.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you check BikeMojo you'll find a group of SSers that routinely ride the Greenbelt. Heck, one dude even rides fixed out there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ride SS HT 29er [my only mtb] and spent a few hours on the Flat Rock Ranch trails near Comfort, TX a few months back.

I was riding 32:19 and the trail was a blast. Good workout on the ups and great fun on the downs.

Don't get fooled by the SS 29er as a second bike either - its never long before they spell doom for any geared bikes in the stable :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice I'm taking the plunge here soon when they come out with the Kona unit in 2010. Going to upgrade the fork to a reba team with a push lock and hopefully run tubeless tires if they make the new model similar to the 2009 models. I hear that if your running SS the push lock helps out on the inclines. By the way what is everyone riding in TX?

·
Code Burr
1,377 Posts
unclenorm said:
Don't get fooled by the SS 29er as a second bike either - its never long before they spell doom for any geared bikes in the stable :D
Huh, I guess I'm the only one who tried it, broke it, didnt like it, went to big suspension and never looked back. The whole 29er thing just doesnt seem like much fun to me and the higher center of gravity feels awful, especially in technical downhill sections. I'd much rather have a 6" trail bike and push the confidence level.

·
Registered
108 Posts
unclenorm said:
I'm sure there are people who do it, but for me, I just can't see myself taking my rigid SS out to City Park or Thumper when I've got my Yeti 575 in the garage. That and the fact that (chronologically) I got it after the full suspension is why it is my second bike. If you can clean all of the runs here in Austin on a SS, you are a far better rider than me and have my full respect.

·
Registered
455 Posts
When you move here, check out the South Side Single Speeders Unite (SSSSU) ride on Bikemojo.com
Meet every Monday night for a fun and technical ride.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not in Austin but Waco. I know a few SS riders that ride out at Cameron Park. There's lots of climbing there and they seem to do well. Actually they do better than most geared riders. So, I think you'll be fine if you have the strength. Me, I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Here's 2 guys on 29ers at Emma Long. Notice that one is a rigid SS, (a $400 GT Peace). There was nothing out there that the rigid bike couldn't handle with ease.

If you need a full suspension 6" travel bike to ride out there, well, you can do that too.

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Here's 2 guys on 29ers at Emma Long. Notice that one is a rigid SS, (a $400 GT Peace). There was nothing out there that the rigid bike couldn't handle with ease.

If you need a full suspension 6" travel bike to ride out there, well, you can do that too.

Haha, I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about climbing on a singlespeed, not descending. I'll descend all day on a SS, just give me some brakes that work. And your "There was nothing out there that the rigid bike couldn't handle with ease" statement....well....I thought the last clip on that video kind of disproved that, didn't it? Unless I missed something....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
locobaylor said:
Haha, I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about climbing on a singlespeed, not descending. I'll descend all day on a SS, just give me some brakes that work. And your "There was nothing out there that the rigid bike couldn't handle with ease" statement....well....I thought the last clip on that video kind of disproved that, didn't it? Unless I missed something....
Are you referring to the last shot of us in the parking lot? Yeah, I don't recall seeing anyone climb back up that, even the guy on the 6" geared bike or the dirt bikes for that matter. My technique for hitting that was pretty f'ed up anyhow, look closely and you'll see I wind up coasting into it. ;) Someone with better skills could have easily nailed it rigid, SS, and/or 29er.

The point is: You don't need a full squish geared bike out there, well... maybe you do.

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Are you referring to the last shot of us in the parking lot? Yeah, I don't recall seeing anyone climb back up that, even the guy on the 6" geared bike or the dirt bikes for that matter. My technique for hitting that was pretty f'ed up anyhow, look closely and you'll see I wind up coasting into it. ;) Someone with better skills could have easily nailed it rigid, SS, and/or 29er.

The point is: You don't need a full squish geared bike out there, well... maybe you do.

Yes, that was my reference point. I bet with some gears you wouldn't have spun out so fast, which would've allowed you to carry more speed into the climb, and you would've been able to "coast into it" a little easier.

And I agree, you don't need a full squish bike, for what y'all were doing. Now, if you were bombing down that trail, with more speed, then I'd say it was necessary, but for the speed that y'all were going, not necessary at all, agreed.

And if you were offering to give me a full-squish bike, I'll take it. But the hardtail I have (with gears, because technology is schweeet) is fine for whatever I need it for (like all TMBRA races except terlingua). Just saying.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
499 Posts
funboarder1971 said:

You certainly don't need a fully suspended bike at those speeds going downhill. And it still certainly didnt look easy, which is kind of the whole point of having suspension is to make it easier on you, the rider.

And there's no point in getting insulting about the whole deal, some people just don't like rigid bikes.

·
Builder of Trails
797 Posts
funboarder1971 said:

My first few years riding out there (92-96) I rode a rigid Univega Alpina. That was fun!

Also, we ride up that last section and session several different lines there when we ride out there. It's fun to change lines and challenge each other.

D

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have ridden emma on a bike as close to rigid as possible (~1/2" of front travel) and it is completely possible to ride everything rigid. I am older now and choose not to.

Most of the time that I ride there someone in the group is on a SS and does a better job than me of handling the trail.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I ride everything and more on my singlespeed that I do on my geared full suspension. Your choice of lines will improve, atleast mine did.

If your lookin' for a bike that easy to clean, look into Gates beltdrive system. I'm liking mine so far. hose it off and its good as new.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lunchbox362 said:
You certainly don't need a fully suspended bike at those speeds going downhill. And it still certainly didnt look easy, which is kind of the whole point of having suspension is to make it easier on you, the rider.

And there's no point in getting insulting about the whole deal, some people just don't like rigid bikes.
Sorry- wasn't trying to be insulting.

I do agree about rigid bikes/single speeds or whatever not being for everyone. My point was that it is a reasonable and fun bike for the terrain out there.

I do have a really cool F/S 29er frame for sale if anyone is interested.

20" Voodoo Canzo frame + shock FOR SALE.

Its been powdercoated a sparkly metallic electric blue color. Only about 10 rides on it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts