Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my Swiss cross frame (2013) into a single speed gravel bike. My lbs is building a wheel set for me with the ability to be an 11 speed. I am going to run one gear on it this fall. I live in a rural area with a lot of back country roads. With that being said does anybody have any experience or a favorite gear ratio for SS. Much appreciated input.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Depends on many factors. What tires are you running? How many hills/how much climbing is on a typical ride? How is your fitness?

My cross bike is 39:16 with 37/40c tires. I pound hills a lot, get a bit spun out on the flats. I'm in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I like something in the low to mid 60 to 70 GI range. Kinda spin-y on the low end but less than 70GI i find i can get up alot of stuff still. Something like a 42/16-17 or a 41/15. The origin 8 SS chainrings are cheap and come in a lot of sizes and individual cogs are cheap assuming your using a freewheel rear hub and shimming it for SS...

Sheldons gear calculator lets you input tire size and individual chainring/freewheel-cog data: Here..go nuts https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The frame will accommodate up to 38mm tires. So I could see ending up somewhere between 35 an 38. Terrain is not unusually hilly. Most riding will be on flat land until my fitness improves. I have spent the past couple of years in the gym lifting. So my aerobic fitness is not what it use to be. I am having the wheels built with Velo hubs and they will be shimmed for a single speed.

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
I test different gears on terrain in my area or where I plan to ride if possible. I always run a bit lower than I can push, this way I can get up more stuff, only at the sacrifice of speed on flat sections or roads, since I'm not racing and enjoy being out in the woods on dirt road or gravel paths!

I have been known to carry different cogs and tune as I ride by swapping out on the ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.