Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You can convert most FS bikes to single speed by use of a chain tensioner, whether or not the tensioner will be able to keep the chain tight is up to the bike's chain growth.. But that will probably change the suspension properties, specifically I'm thinking of CVA and VPP bikes..

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
CarlosMeatPewps said:
I know they must be out there, but i've never seen one. Anybody around here riding or building one? Have any pictures?
As mentioned, the Lenz product. There are a couple of guys running the JET 9 from Niner as a SS (you'll have to search the forums to find them). I know George at Bike29.com rigged up his JET as a SS. You can read about it here. Sounds like a fun ride.

BB

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
There is a guy in the forum that races a Tallboy and set it up SS. He used a YESS tensioner. It took him a little bit to set it up properly, but he said that it has been flawless.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do a search for MilkMoney and you will find all kinds of pictures. I picked up a used one last year and I have to say it is a great bike. My BlurLT has not seen any action since getting the FSSS.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Softail....symantics

betterdays2 said:
I ride a MootoX YBB. 1 and1/8 inch rear pivotless travel SS. Takes the harshness out of the bumps and a little snap on the climb.
I had a 26" YBB set up SS with a WI ecc hub. Loved that machine. Thought I had to sell it a few years ago due to injury. Little did I know I'd be still missing it today. It'd be a 650YBB! :cool:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I disagree, I don't think it's a great idea. In many ways, SS and FS are opposites. SS is all about mashing and grinding up the next hill. FS is about spinning up and blazing down. SS is about simplicity, and "becoming one with your bike" or some other philosophical bologne, FS is about technology.

·
holy schfincter..
159 Posts
ssalmons said:
I disagree, I don't think it's a great idea. In many ways, SS and FS are opposites. SS is all about mashing and grinding up the next hill. FS is about spinning up and blazing down. SS is about simplicity, and "becoming one with your bike" or some other philosophical bologne, FS is about technology.
I was thinking something similar along those lines. The question being..why? Isn't SS all about simplicity? why make it complicated w/ a FS ?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
TigerRider said:
I was thinking something similar along those lines. The question being..why? Isn't SS all about simplicity? why make it complicated w/ a FS ?
Not necessarily, often it's just about the ride. An FS frame doesn't have to add that much complexity or maintenance either. Similar to a susp fork, once you have it dialed in there should only be occasional, seasonal maintenance to deal with.

As for FS bike being seen as for spinning only, that's probably because most FS bikes have a full range of gears on them. Chicken or the egg?

As for FS bikes being about technology... well then those people are buying bikes with the wrong reasons. I would want FS for comfort, endurance, traction, and safety at high speed

I rode my SS hardtail to mash up hills, but I also had it setup to bomb the downhills with big tires, big bars, etc. That was at least half the point of struggling to the top of the hill in the first place! An FS SS sounds like a pretty fun tool to have.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.