Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are the downsides for manufacturing a bike (rigid) that accommodates single speed use? I'm not saying exclusively designed for single speed use, just one that accommodates it.

Background: A bike manufacturer just told me there are "too many drawbacks" to make a frame that accommodates single speed. This is for a carbon drop bar bike that has no suspension and uses a pressfit bottom bracket.

Can anyone shed some light on what these drawbacks are? :confused:

·
Cycologist
10,143 Posts
I don't know that there is much interest in carbon road bikes that can be ss or geared, I think they tend to choose a geared road bike or a fixed gear/track bike. To accommodate both, there is the extra cost of being able to swap out the dropouts and they probably don't think the market is big enough to make it worthwhile.

Santa Cruz Roadster had swappable dropouts, but it was aluminum.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Sliding/ swinging dropouts are more complex and therefore more expensive to make. It might be even harder on a carbon fiber frame. Combine that with the fact that 99% of the market would have no interest in riding singlespeed and manufacturers have very few reasons to spend the time and effort on making such a thing for such a tiny sliver of the market.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Sliding/ swinging dropouts are more complex and therefore more expensive to make. It might be even harder on a carbon fiber frame. Combine that with the fact that 99% of the market would have no interest in riding singlespeed and manufacturers have very few reasons to spend the time and effort on making such a thing for such a tiny sliver of the market.
This, right here.

If they put a Bushnell shell into the bottom bracket, or a BB30, there are obviously eccentric options there that can work, creating an adjustable chain length. That said, if you're not going to ride fixed-gear, why not just use a chain tensioner?

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
if you're not going to ride fixed-gear, why not just use a chain tensioner?
Party foul. You are hereby banned from the singlespeed forum!

If a tensioner that does not suck existed, I would be OK with that. I have tried a few (Surly, Blackspire, generic, etc) and they all sucked. Given the option for something designed into the frame, I'll go with a frame designed for it.

I like the idea of more eccentric BB frames. I had a Ninner ROS9 for a little bit. While I didn't like other aspects of the bike, the EBB was great. Chain tension and BB position adjustment allowed me to make small changes to the BB height, effective chainstay length and seat tube angle.

Can the carbon road bike in question take an EBB in it's press-fit BB she'll?

·
Administrator
11,805 Posts
So what are the downsides for manufacturing a bike (rigid) that accommodates single speed use? I'm not saying exclusively designed for single speed use, just one that accommodates it.

Background: A bike manufacturer just told me there are "too many drawbacks" to make a frame that accommodates single speed. This is for a carbon drop bar bike that has no suspension and uses a pressfit bottom bracket.

Can anyone shed some light on what these drawbacks are? :confused:
There a BB option to allow tensioning for PF BB (https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/ebb.html), you would have to change your BB but you could then singlespeed all the bikes.

This would work the best with Disc brakes, aside from probably creaking like a frog.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Having used an alfine tensioner before, I won't say it sucked. It was perfectly effective at keeping the chain tensioned. Aesthetically, it's not my preference, and I plan to choose frames with EBB or slider/swinger dropouts for SS for that reason.

I used the alfine back before narrow-wide rings were a thing, I imagine it's even more reliable with those.

To the OP, we are a niche market, so most designs will not make even minor compromises to accommodate us.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Ever tried a Melvin Mack?
Why would I bother putting such a tumor on my bike when I can get a frame with track ends, sliders, etc? I think the Melvin or Rohloff tensioner seem like a decent solution, but that would be a last resort if I was really desperate. Otherwise the feel and aesthetics of a bouncy bit makes me gag.

I snapped the spring on my Surly tensioner. I installed it exactly by Surly's instructions, ten years ago. It lasted 3-4 rides, then the spring shattered. Are the springs on other tensioners stronger?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I'm not disagreeing, I have a WI eno hub for aesthetic reasons. I was just wondering if you had tried the Melvin.... and yes I have a Melvin, but no other tensioners. Why? Because I bought into the 3 speed idea that Paul was selling.

The reason I have these is that I am likely going to sell my MUSS. The grand plan being that I would end up with a Krampus.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is sacrilegious to use a chain tensioner for single speeding! Might as well use a derailleur, 100x better at keeping the chain on.

This frame has a BB386Evo bottom bracket. I'm know about EBB for PF30 bottom brackets but not aware of one for 386EVO.

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
Party foul. You are hereby banned from the singlespeed forum!

If a tensioner that does not suck existed, I would be OK with that. I have tried a few (Surly, Blackspire, generic, etc) and they all sucked. Given the option for something designed into the frame, I'll go with a frame designed for it.

I like the idea of more eccentric BB frames. I had a Ninner ROS9 for a little bit. While I didn't like other aspects of the bike, the EBB was great. Chain tension and BB position adjustment allowed me to make small changes to the BB height, effective chainstay length and seat tube angle.

Can the carbon road bike in question take an EBB in it's press-fit BB she'll?
"I use a Ghost Chainring" It works and people are baffled so the question arise...LOL

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
I snapped the spring on my Surly tensioner. I installed it exactly by Surly's instructions, ten years ago. It lasted 3-4 rides, then the spring shattered. Are the springs on other tensioners stronger?
Ahhh, you tried a spring loaded tensioner... LOVE my Soulcraft Converts. No spring. It's indexed into place and swings out of the way to allow rear wheel removal. I have them on both of my classic frames and have ZERO issue after five years with one and nearly three with the other.

If my Homegrowns had horizontal drop outs, or could be retro fitted with sliders, I'd do it. Barring that, the convert works perfectly.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
I don't need one, but is the Concert still available? I only see spare bits available.
Unfortunately no. Soulcraft discontinued the Convert for some reason. They do pop up from time to time and I was fortunate to have found one local to me on CL and the other on ebay (brand new in the box).

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
@chuckha62 From the Soulcraft Convert web page:

* Will work on mountain, cross, and road bikes, but not on fixed gear or FULL SUSPENSION BIKES, which are nonsense.

Is the Convert what you use for the Sweet Spot?

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
@chuckha62 From the Soulcraft Convert web page:

* Will work on mountain, cross, and road bikes, but not on fixed gear or FULL SUSPENSION BIKES, which are nonsense.

Is the Convert what you use for the Sweet Spot?
It is. The URT is the key for a non-sprung tensioner, as the chain length doesn't change.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Spoke

I had a bike shop mechanic tell me that I had way too much slack in my chain awhile back, but rolling resistance is less and I have never dropped a chain, so I prefer it this way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.