Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a world championship for 24 hour single speed races?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a look at the site - didn't seem to be a real WORLD championship with world wide qualifying events.

Just another confusion of USA with the world? (I don't mean that to sound contentious, and I am happy to be corrected on it)

The event certainly looks tough enough.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
datako said:
Had a look at the site - didn't seem to be a real WORLD championship with world wide qualifying events.

Just another confusion of USA with the world? (I don't mean that to sound contentious, and I am happy to be corrected on it)

The event certainly looks tough enough.
I've gone back and forth over this topic in my mind.
Yes, they have never left the North American continent for a new "Worlds" venue.
No qualifying events on other continents, but 24 HOA will accept resumes from anybody. No qualified rider would be turned away.
For example, Craig Gordon (the Men's Elite champ) didn't do any qualifying races and he was from Australia.
No, it's not sanctioned by any governing body (other than 24 HOA). Neither are the SS Worlds which is organized by the winner of a derby, drinking contest, or whatever method their manic minds can conjure.
They can call it the "Worlds" because they got "dibbsies". Maybe that's just a North American concept.
Was it tough enough? My hands were messed up for about two months, and I had to go up against a guy who had beat all the bigs (Eatough, Juarez, Ross, etc). It wasn't easy going in with everything I had knowing who I was up against.
So you know what? I'll take the title (for what it's worth) and be happy with it. It wasn't like it was the easiest thing I've ever done. If any deserving rider really wanted it they had their shot to race for it.
Normally I cast a lot of "what if's" on any victory. What if a stronger rider woulda showed up? What if Cameron wouldn't have bonked? What if blah, blah, blah... who cares? I'm gonna do my best to not let my self depricating ways spoil this for me. I saw something I wanted, I gave it what I had, and I got it. Hooray for me.

Feel free to throw a 24 Worlds SS Championships. I don't think anybody can stop you. Will it be more legit then the 24HOA race? Probably not, but the world needs more champions.

Sincerely,
Rich Dillen
Category Winner

BTW: If you want to read about just how "tough" it was it's here: http://teamdicky.blog.com/1138076/

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's the only "world's" race on the block

so......it is was it is....the SS 24hr world championships.

And you beat who shows up, wich Rich did soundly.....bow to the 24hr World SS champ...I mean "category winner!" ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.