Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this? Any thoughts on this? I have seen one before, and loved how simple it was. I have a 7point and I know chain growth wouldn't be much of a problem. I was mainly wondering because my entire drive train needs to be replaced. And my shifters have always given me the most problems with all my bikes. Plus, it would be much cheaper than replacing everything. And money is a bit of a problem now with the slow economy.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
Only way to do it is to have the bike pivot eccentrically around the bottom bracket. (i.e. most Rotec Frames, and Lenz Sport frames)

or have a chain tensioner with a HUGE adjusting range.. which you'd be just as liable to rip off as a derailleur.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
62kona said:
What about doing it like this? Any reason this would not work for other bikes?
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for.../28119-single-speed-freeride-sweeeeeeeet.html
That's what I meant about having a Chain tensioner....

The Transitions are actually designed with SS in mind, so they are optimized to have as minimal chain growth/suck as possible. They do still need a small tensioner to compensate for the amount they do have.

With DH frames, the suspension is designed with ride characteristics in mind, with chain growth taking very little hold in the designers mind (as DH bikes are meant to have derailleurs). That being said the majority of DH bikes have a large amount of chain growth you would need to compensate for, hence a tensioner with a huge working range.

That's just the mechanical reasons why It probably isn't the best Idea. Further for actual riding, it's a terrible idea. If you are truly riding DH you are constantly sprinting and shifting. you open 'er up in high speed sections, pedal out of every corner, creep on tight technical areas. Dh bikes NEED a range of gearing. Dirt jump bikes really go in a small window of different speeds so they can get away with SS.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
62kona said:
Anyone try this? Any thoughts on this? I have seen one before, and loved how simple it was. I have a 7point and I know chain growth wouldn't be much of a problem. I was mainly wondering because my entire drive train needs to be replaced. And my shifters have always given me the most problems with all my bikes. Plus, it would be much cheaper than replacing everything. And money is a bit of a problem now with the slow economy.
adjust your stuff more often , do maintenance more often, and make sure derailler hanger is strait. Keeps the problems away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.