Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a single speed. I was wondering if anyone rents or demos single speed mountain bikes ? I live in north phoenix. I would need a large.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
There is the poor mans SS... find a typical SS ratio on your geared bike and don't shift. Sure you have some extra weight, but for a short test ride the effect is similar.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,318 Posts
I'm selling a Medium Kermit Green Niner SIR9 steel SS frame + seatpost. I'm 5'10", and Niner frames tend to fit a bit "bigger" due to a longer top tube. I also have an 18" light purple Kona Unit 2-9 frame to sell. Both great SS frames. Let me know if any interest...

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I'm selling a Medium Kermit Green Niner SIR9 steel SS frame + seatpost. I'm 5'10", and Niner frames tend to fit a bit "bigger" due to a longer top tube. I also have an 18" light purple Kona Unit 2-9 frame to sell. Both great SS frames. Let me know if any interest...
quit cockblocking.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
SCRUBDUNKER
300 Posts
brian, I tried SS by not shifting and it's not the same thing. recommend you try somebody's bike for a ride and see if you like it...or just jump in with both feet and get something you like the looks of and ride until you don't mind it (that could be one ride or a hundred, who knows)

I only ride my Tallboy when I absolutely need gears for some reason...the next time I ride it will probably be the Flag2GC ride.

·
I am Walt
6,318 Posts
BTW, oftentimes, one's first SS is a frame + building it up with parts you're moving over from another bike, scrounging, etc. With the notion to try it and see if it takes for you, and usually a cheaper option to get started.

My Niner frame + seatpost + headset is about $475, and the Kona frame is about $200. Both would be a solid start. I also have a decent used Fox fork that I ran on the Niner, and some other misc. parts, along with at least one wheel (Stan's Flow), if you're looking to cobble...

After years of SS'ing, and loving it, I finally upgraded to my dream frame - Vassago Optimus Ti (titanium) - last year, which is why I'm unloading the Niner. But it took me a while to work to that price point.

·
1,442 Posts
BTW, oftentimes, one's first SS is a frame + building it up with parts you're moving over from another bike, scrounging, etc. With the notion to try it and see if it takes for you, and usually a cheaper option to get started.

My Niner frame + seatpost + headset is about $475, and the Kona frame is about $200. Both would be a solid start. I also have a decent used Fox fork that I ran on the Niner, and some other misc. parts, along with at least one wheel (Stan's Flow), if you're looking to cobble...

After years of SS'ing, and loving it, I finally upgraded to my dream frame - Vassago Optimus Ti (titanium) - last year, which is why I'm unloading the Niner. But it took me a while to work to that price point.

+1

There is a certain amount of satisfaction to cobbling together an SS out of an abandoned frame, finding out you love it, and eventually spending stupid money on a "real" SS.

Extra points if you fabricate your own chain tensioning system out of spare parts. Will make you appreciate a purpose built SS frame later.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anyone ever "regretted" buying a single speed ?... I mean it seems so illogical to ride one... But all I hear is how awesome climbing is with them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts