Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got home from picking up my new/old bike! It's a Nishiki Cascade, the gentleman I bought it from said It's an 88', he said he bought it new while in college. Anyways, the reason I bought this bike was because I'm hoping the rear dropouts are going to allow me to convert it to SS! That's where you guys come in, will the dropout work? I knew horizontal drop outs were ideal, and these look like they are at about a 45degree angle. All in all I'd just like your guys opinions and any advice for the resto! I'm new to biking, this is actually gonna be my first mountain bike....I had a single speed bike growing up and I thought I'd just jump straight back into it. Tell me what you guys think! Thanks :]

Attachments

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
i like this thread already, interesting bike. that dropout have enough room for good chain tensioning..

and just so you know, your dog is eating your tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'm really excited to get this thing started. And I'm glad you think that dropout should work, fingers crossed! And yeah, they guy gave me an extra tire, but It didnt even match the two on the bike....so I let my dog have at it lol.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Keep the tire. Consider it the first deposit into your big box o' bike bits. You can never have too many spare parts.

Besides, that rubber can't be good for the dog.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
serial number

Finally found the serial number! Now can anyone help me find a database that I can search this in? I just want to know the EXACT year of this bike, and any other info I can get on it. I cant seem to find much info on these bikes. Thanks folks! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
MRRhoades...does it really matter to you when & how your nishiki was made?
you have a nice basis for a fun ss build there but keep in mind, just cuz something is kinda old, does not mean it is even slightly "collectible".
nishiki has been thru several modes in its history...
it was a nice jap bike from kawamura in the 80's, then a lower-end version of raleigh in the 90's, was shut down around 2000-2001 & i've heard it was recently regenerated as a dick's sporting goods type bike. also, nowadays lightweight older nishiki road bikes are highly sought after by hipsters for fixed conversions.
ironically, today in the beginner forum they are telling some guy to avoid an old nishiki fs because it is a "department store" bike.
if you do have to know & if you haven't already, you oughta check the vintage, retro, classic forum here & also look for a guy named t-mar in the classic & vintage forum @ bikeforums,net

fine looking bike-holder you got there...good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Markaitch! The thought of this bike being a collectible or worth any sum of money hasn't even entered my mind. I picked the bike up for 50 bucks, and just want to make an awesome ss out of it. Reason for me wanting info on the bike is simply because I cant find info on these bikes anywhere, and would just like to know a little bit about the bike I'll be riding around. I'm really excited to get this thing lookin pretty! Thanks for the info and your time!

Oh and thanks, she definitely one expensive bike holder! lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so I'm looking at parts that I'll need to make this thing SS. If you guys can help me I'd really appreciate it! Heres a list of what I can think of so far, keep in mind I am on a bit of a budget....maybe 100 bucks? If i cant do it for that, I'll just buy the parts when I can and save em lol. So this is what I've got!.....

Wheels manufacturing singlespeed kit.
-SSK-3 is Wheels Manufacturing's top-end kit, featuring an integrated "guide" shaped spacer that helps prevent your chain from falling off. Same spacers, plus the "Guide" spacers, lockring, and 16T cog

Blackspire Mono Veloce Chainring39T

Sram PC-1 Singlespeed chain

Also, Singlespeed chainring bolts...not brand specific. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, sorry I'm a newb! Let me know what you think! Please

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Ratio

39/16 is incredibly steep, especially for a mountain bike. I'd say get a low 30s tooth-count chainring, and get a range of cogs you'd like to use. A good starting range will be around 17-21t or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Erik, thats good to know! Lol, I really dont have the slightest Idea how gearing works :madman: ...I tried studying up a bit on it, I definitely need to get a better understanding of it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jackspade said:
Try 'standard' ratio 2:1 first. You might get it heavier or lighter ratio later depends on your terrain.

Standing and monster spinning is never an issue for SS.
Awesome, thanks for the advice! So, excuse my ignorance, would 2:1 ratio be like a 34/17?

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Sweet rig. I still use my 1989 Cascade for hauling/commuting duties. My Cascade has been everywhere. Yours is either 1987 or 1988 for sure. Those pedals kick ass. By the way, a SS conversion won't work on the original wheel. You have a freewheel back there and not a cassette. If you wanted to keep your rear wheel, you would need to remove the freewheel, redish the wheel, and alter the spacing washer arrangement (not possible with my original wheels, either). ALternatively you could just buy a new 26" 7,8, or 9 speed rear wheel for about $50 and use that SS kit. The latter is the far better option IMHO.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
markaitch said:
if that is the case, you should check the threading on your hub & possibly you can just use a singlespeed freewheel (& spacer or 2) on it if it matches
It will thread on, but chainline issues will get you. There is a spacer on the driveside half of the axle. As you can imagine, a 5 or 6 speed freewheel is going to be much wider than a SS freewheel. In the case of my Cascade, I could not figure out how to remove the cylindrical washer that spaced the hub away from the driveside dropout. Now if you don't mind running the freewheel off the granny ring (74mm bcd - finding a 28-30T chainring should not be too tough, but then you will need a 16-17t freewheel, most likely), then it might work out.

·
Dive Bomber
770 Posts
MRRhoades said:
Awesome, thanks for the advice! So, excuse my ignorance, would 2:1 ratio be like a 34/17?
Yes.

34/17
32/16
36/18

It's all the same 2:1 ratio.

The easier to convert SS on old frames is with 7speed hub and spacers, I once use single freewheel and having issues with OLD which cause the brake not symmetric/unbalance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone for your replys...I'm thinking just buying a new wheel is the way to go. I'm going for a ride today and I'll play with my gears and try to find a ratio I like...I'll try for a 2:1. Thanks again for all your help guys, much appreciated!

Mtroy, awesome! Yeah, the guy I bought from said he bought it new in 88'. Speaking of the fork, what do you guys think of that? I think its pretty cool! I like the design at the top of it. I'll have to check the cams for you, I'll let you know!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.