Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a few searches in here, GT forum, and general forum but didn't find what I was searching for. I use my Avalanche for paved and hard packed paths, was interested in converting it to a single speed setup. I found a couple kits for the rear cog on Jenson one is half the price of the other, single speed chain is only $5.99. Nashbar has a kit for $19.99 that has a tensioner included, trying to go as inexpensive as possible to see if I indeeed like this setup.

My question to those who have done this is:

1. The setup is currently an 8 speed chain, rear cog/gear kit says compatible with an 8 speed chain. Do I need the single speed chain and tensioner they recommend?

2. What do I do with the front crankset? I've taken the big ring off my AM bike, is this similar but I just need to take off the granny sprocket too?

Thanks for your help!

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
You will need a tensioner of some sort as the Avalanche frame does not have sliders for dropouts. Just get the Nashbar/Performance kit. It works quite well.

For the front you are limited. The Suntour cranks on the Avalanche have a BCD of 106mm. Nothing on the market as far as chainrings/bashguards go will work on the Suntour crank.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

So I guess I can't do much for the front but do I just run with the granny on or am I able to remove the granny and big ring... then just leave the middle ring?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.