Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently converted to singlespeed and is having serious problems with his spring loaded tensioners. He tryed the surley singulator and he drops his chain whenever he rides through roots and other obsticles. We have it tensioned well but the spring allows the chain to loose its tension and causes him to drop his chain. I would like to know what your oppinions are about the rennin rolengager and the dmr sts. Would these solve his problems? Which is better?

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
theg1ant said:
My friend recently converted to singlespeed and is having serious problems with his spring loaded tensioners. He tryed the surley singulator and he drops his chain whenever he rides through roots and other obsticles. We have it tensioned well but the spring allows the chain to loose its tension and causes him to drop his chain. I would like to know what your oppinions are about the rennin rolengager and the dmr sts. Would these solve his problems? Which is better?
More info needed on the cogs and rings. Are the cogs from a disassembled cassette, or are they SS cogs? Is the ring ramped and pinned (I have heard that can also be a source for dropping, I used one on the road for 4 weeks w/o incident) or is it too a SS?

As for the Rennen, I have heard good things. They are not compatible with wide dropouts (also know as Breezer d/os). About all I know. I used a old mech as a tensioner prior to going to an SS specific frame.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
*Disclaimer* I have only been a singlespeed for 1 day, so take this with a grain of salt *Disclaimer*

Anyhow, when I was building my SS the other, I couldn't get enough chain tension either, and I'm using a Surly Singleator as well. I found the trick to getting tension is this:

All this stuff only applies to verticle dropouts btw. . .

#1-Flip the spring out so he is using the spring that pushes the chain up (If you haven't already)
#2-Make sure you have a straight chainline
#3-Once you think you have as much chain tension as you can get, take out a chainlink, and replace it with a half-link, your Singleator will have the same amount of tension, only it will be a shorter chain.

Problem solved!

I was running into this problem the other day, and after experimenting, riding around the parking lot for a few, I've come up with this method, and I now have rock-solid chain tension.

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are single speed cogs and we tried pushing the chain up but it keeps falling off because the tensioner bounces and that causes the tensioner to stop tensioning the chain. I have the same front ring on my singlespeed and i never have dropped a chain. Maby ill make a ghetto chain tensioner out of an old tape roller just to see if i can get it to work.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
theg1ant said:
They are single speed cogs and we tried pushing the chain up but it keeps falling off because the tensioner bounces and that causes the tensioner to stop tensioning the chain. I have the same front ring on my singlespeed and i never have dropped a chain. Maby ill make a ghetto chain tensioner out of an old tape roller just to see if i can get it to work.
Hmmm. Sorry I could not give you more to work with. Good luck with it.

·
Administrator
11,688 Posts
I have used a zip tie around the tensioner and the chainstay on my wife's SS when hers kept dropping as well. We need to bring a few along on rides and a pair of cutters in case of flats but it worked real well.

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
theg1ant said:
I would like to know what your oppinions are about the rennin rolengager and the dmr sts. Would these solve his problems? Which is better?
I recently converted my old Fisher Paragon hardtail to a SS since it was collecting dust in the garage after I purchased my 5" FS trail bike. I used the shimano LX middle Chain ring already on the bike, a 19t cog from the cassette that was already on the bike and the chain as well. The only parts I purchased were a Rennen Rollenlager (based on all the info on the boards here on how bombproof it is once set up) and a Gusset conversion kit (I only used the 2 spacers from the kit).

I have taken the bike out for several spins at the local park and hit plenty of rocks, small drops etc etc and no chain dropping, no problems. I like the fact that the Rollenlager is a set up and forget it, bombproof piece o' metal. From my limited experience it works great. I will be hitting some of the local rolling single track rides and see how it goes but I suspect it will work just fine until I "need" to purchase a dedicated SS frame ;).

G'luck on the conversion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i converted 18" GT zaskar to ss 3 years ago, and have never dropped a chain.
i use a shimano rear mech (long cage) with the rear (black) plate removed, and with a very large shimano altus jockey wheel on the bottom, no top wheel needed.
i run 44 - 24 and sometimes 44 - 26 combo and it works awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool:

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright problem solved. he put the gears back on and has ordered a reline monocog 29er :D

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright problem solved. he put the gears back on and has ordered a reline monocog 29er :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts