Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about in single speed frame geometry and why? In particular, what have you personally tried and how did it work out for you? What is your rationale behind your preference for certain parameters?

For chainstays, 430 to 440mm is standard but are there reasons you think they should be shorter or longer for single speed vs. geared. Head tube angles for 29ers are all over the map, What do you prefer? Does seat tube angle even matter? How much post should be extended? Bottom bracket height? Does the fact that we do a lot of work out of the saddle influence this in one direction or the other?

What are your thoughts and why?

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Good questions... If you think about it, the only thing us SS guys are doing different than the gearies is standing when it gets steep. So, any geometry changes that facilitates standing climbing that doesn't detract from the other handling elements should be good. I would think short chainstays would facilitate traction during climbing...

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I'm really liking the short CS on my N9. That's really the only place I can tell a difference from other bikes I've had. I'm not overly sensitive to geometry changes. I just get on the bike and pedal and don't over think things.

·
Gotta pay to play
684 Posts
I like this frame design. Its quite good.

Before that I had a GT Peace 9er SS. Frame was super long. Felt less "flicky" than my Jones, I really had to muscle it though turns, but there is something fun about that as well.

I dunno man. Just go ride your SS and forget about all these funky metrics and measurements. As long as your legs are strong and your nuts are big and hairy you'll have a good time.

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
Here's a relevant thread I participated in a while ago
Discussing Rigid geo opinions

I am still riding this bike...short stay shortish wheel base. I find it great for rigid as I can easily make the front end light and get my weight off my hands....standing traction is also very good although I need a new rear tyre with some grip now! Longer front center works for me, especially as a lot more time is standing with weight forward. One big difference over my other bike with more trad xc geo is the speed of turning into a corner. I am guessing shorter wheel base and rear weighting with precise steering and less weight helps to make it more nimble in tight stuff.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've had four single speeds...

Niner One9
Ventana El Comandante
Santa Cruz Highball Alum
Kona Raijin

The only frame I really didn't like, especially for single speeding, was the El Com, with chain stays in the 18" range.

SPP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts