Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at different bikes for next season. I'm thinking to add another bike to my stable (currently really only 1 bike, except I have an old old bike) and I was thinking to add a Single Speed.

My thougths are to use the Single Speed more of lighter riding and for fun rides that are not as challenging. Something to ride to the bike shop, or take for a quick spin. For this I was thinking some thing with curved bars something that would allow for a slightly more relaxed position.

First Question, it seems like alot of the Single Speeds that you see out there are 29er's or maybe thats just because thats whats highlighted right now as new things.

Second Question, I'm 6' 2" with a 30" inseam (mostly torso) I'm assuming that a 29er would really work well for me. However if I'm just going to do mostly light riding should I go with a 29er? I guess its a nice thing to have it I ever take the bike somewhere rocky.

So really I'm just wondering, it seems like alot of SS bikes are 29ers and it also seems like alot of 29ers are SS bikes. Is this true or am I making things up?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
wow at 6'2" with a 30" inseam you are gonna need one hell of a long toptube.

as for wheelsize. i got a new 29er early in the summer and for people our size (i'm 6'3") they are the bike to get.

my very scientific thinking and research on this subject so far has yielded this result: bigger dudes should have bigger wheels (though i was perfectly happy on 26" wheels before i made the switch).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
max-a-mill said:
by very scientific thinking on this subject so far is: bigger dudes should have bigger wheels (though i was perfectly happy on 26" wheels before i made the switch).
I kinda feel like that too. I'm happy riding a 26" wheel bike right now, so I don't think I would dislike another one. However I can understand how bigger wheels would be good.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
29ers are new

(to the mainstream) and get a lot of talk lately. I just got one, so that is what i ride mostly. I like the versatility of a single bike that can use a road bike wheel (basically), or a 29er. there are as many reasons to do one over the other.

for me, I like the 29er for the following reasons:
longer wheelbase climbs well
bike seems to fit more needs and wants (cruiser, MTB, foul weather road bike....)
seems to fit a bigger guy like me better (ling torso...long wheel base)

reasons to get 26er (as i see it):
short wheel base is easier to maneuver in tight spots (switch backs)
you can set it up and not be constantly fiddling with it like a swiss army knife
tiny bikes are fun for ultra high tech/trials riding

hummm...those seem to be opposites

these are my reasons, probalby not yours. celebrate the differences, and have both. no one bike is clearly better for everything (that is what keeps the economy going). look at what you do, and honestly want to do, and try to pick the best fit.

enjoy your ride.

KEn

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Personally, I have a soft spot for 26ers so I would go in that direction. But if I was YOU, I'd get a 29er without thinking twice. Your are the perfect candidate for that kind of bike, regardless of the demands of your trails.

I don't think there are more singlespeed 29ers than 26ers available at this time, but that's changing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heheh Thanks Fat Bob... I think

Yeah most guys my hieght would probably have much longer legs then I do. When I was test riding bikes this year I tried all different makes (trek, gaint, gary fisher, specialized) all the bikes felt really really short. Trek made me feel like I could go OTB if I hit a pebble.

Gary Fisher was the only bike that I felt fit me, but even still I'm thinking I could use a longer stem cause sometimes I unhook my thumb from the bars and just lean with the bottom of my palms on the bars.

Actaully this makes me think maybe you guys would know other brands that would maybe be longer. I quickly looked to compare the Gary Fisher Marlin that I have now to the same size Gary Fisher RIG, and the cockpit and top tube lengths are the same. (19" frames)

For this new bike my plan is to save untill I can afford something thats really worth it, so if the bike costs 1k cool, and if it costs 2k then I just need to wait longer to get it. I just got the Marlin so it work perfect for now.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Get a custom Walt Works 29er frame. The price is pretty reasonable for custom.

By the way, it isn't true that 29ers can't handle switchbacks or tight turns. They can do anything a 26er can do once you get used to the difference in handling.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thor29 said:
Get a custom Walt Works 29er frame. The price is pretty reasonable for custom.

By the way, it isn't true that 29ers can't handle switchbacks or tight turns. They can do anything a 26er can do once you get used to the difference in handling.
A couple things that would worry (I guess thats the word) me about a Walt Works or any other custom frame would be that I don't know if I know enough about frame fit to explain what I want. I assume you give all your measurements and explain what type of riding you want and then a design is made, but how would I know if that would ride any better then what I have?

Also since its coming from the states and I'm in canada I would also get nailed with delivery and everything I guess. Custom really makes the build cost more for the same things (but the bike should fit better)

Anyways, about the switchbacks, I could see where something what was so tight it was hard on a 26er might be even harder on a 29er but I doubt you'd really notice the difference. I still have to give one a test ride in the spring

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
A 29" bike will fit you better. While I'm notofthe opinion that they are just for us big guys, (I'm a little over 6') they fit me better than any 26" bike I've ever had. I just like how they ride too. Better traction, climbing, more shock absorbition, however you want to look at it. I just have more fun on big wheels. Weight shouldn'n be an issue as you can build some 29er's scary light. I have a 17.5 Rig that weighs 17.5 lbs for instance. Scary, but very fast.

Ben

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Try someone's XL Rig. They are out there. Or another 29" XL Fisher for that matter. Ride it to get a fele of the fit. Sure your seat will be low, and standover tight. Lately Fisher 29"ers have lower standover BTW. I think for a custom, you might well get the top tube of an XL Fisher, 17-18" seat tube with some extra slope and a 110-120mm stem. I bet the fit will please you. Trying the XL bike (ask on the 29" forum for one locally), see if the standover bothers you in real riding. If it doesn't, you've found your bike.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cloxxki said:
Try someone's XL Rig. They are out there. Or another 29" XL Fisher for that matter. Ride it to get a fele of the fit. Sure your seat will be low, and standover tight. Lately Fisher 29"ers have lower standover BTW. I think for a custom, you might well get the top tube of an XL Fisher, 17-18" seat tube with some extra slope and a 110-120mm stem. I bet the fit will please you. Trying the XL bike (ask on the 29" forum for one locally), see if the standover bothers you in real riding. If it doesn't, you've found your bike.
Thats an interesting thought, the standover on the XL Rig seems to be 1" higher then my L Marlin, the XL Rig is actaully short then the XL Marlin. I'll have to try that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.