Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I saw the new 200 buck cheapy that walmart listed I have a frame I was looking at modifying to make a Fatty. I was toying with the idea like a motorcycle single sided swingarm. Like a lefty fork only in the rear. Has anyone seen this type of setup or played with it before? it would have to be done on the drive side. Just wanted some info from peeps before I start trial and erroring. I do know in order to do this you would have to gut the hub shaft and come up with an axle hard setup. Something bigger and stronger like titanium.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,374 Posts
Hmm. Single sided is where you wind up when you are looking for rigidity, because by the time you make each side that strong - you only need the one. Or rather, it only takes a little more to make one sufficient, so it's lighter than keeping both. But. Bicycles are not really about rigidity, more about balancing design elements. Look at m/c swingarms, and how much fatter the single sided ones are than the duals. Also, the Lefty works at least in part because of the angle. A rear equivalent will be nearly horizontal, and have much more twisting force to resist as well as bending.

Ok, with that said, the Windcheetah recumbent tricycle is one successful singlesided rear frame that I know of:

hyperport_thumb_big.jpg

The Ratcher 9 recumbent bicycle is another:

www.bikefix.co.jpg

Both use special rear hubs that put the wheel on one side and the cassette on the other. I recall the Windcheetah uses a caliper type brake on a stub mount, but the Ratcatcher uses a disc brake.

rearblock.jpg

Axelsplinesweb.jpg

This one is huge, so I ain't gonna attach it: https://www.bentrideronline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MonorailHub.jpg

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Before I saw the new 200 buck cheapy that walmart listed I have a frame I was looking at modifying to make a Fatty. I was toying with the idea like a motorcycle single sided swingarm. Like a lefty fork only in the rear. Has anyone seen this type of setup or played with it before? it would have to be done on the drive side. Just wanted some info from peeps before I start trial and erroring. I do know in order to do this you would have to gut the hub shaft and come up with an axle hard setup. Something bigger and stronger like titanium.
wheel chairs are single sided as well. Check out some of the racing carts, however they don't accommodate shifting of course.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The way I see it, stuffing a cassette, derailer, and disc brake on one side is getting pretty crowded. That special rear hub like Wadester showed is pretty nifty.

I'd love to see it done, but I'm not sure how practical it would be. But I say do it! Practicality be damned.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
Hmm. Single sided is where you wind up when you are looking for rigidity, because by the time you make each side that strong - you only need the one. Or rather, it only takes a little more to make one sufficient, so it's lighter than keeping both. But. Bicycles are not really about rigidity, more about balancing design elements. Look at m/c swingarms, and how much fatter the single sided ones are than the duals. Also, the Lefty works at least in part because of the angle. A rear equivalent will be nearly horizontal, and have much more twisting force to resist as well as bending.

Ok, with that said, the Windcheetah recumbent tricycle is one successful singlesided rear frame that I know of:

View attachment 783405

The Ratcher 9 recumbent bicycle is another:

View attachment 783406

Both use special rear hubs that put the wheel on one side and the cassette on the other. I recall the Windcheetah uses a caliper type brake on a stub mount, but the Ratcatcher uses a disc brake.

View attachment 783407

View attachment 783408

This one is huge, so I ain't gonna attach it: https://www.bentrideronline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MonorailHub.jpg
That’s some serious engineering!!! :eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way I see it, stuffing a cassette, derailer, and disc brake on one side is getting pretty crowded. That special rear hub like Wadester showed is pretty nifty.

I'd love to see it done, but I'm not sure how practical it would be. But I say do it! Practicality be damned.
Already thought that part out, since you have to go with a solid axle and bolt for stability it would be simple to have the gears and derailluer on the drive side. mount the rim and a hanger mounts on the other side for the caliper. Downside is the caliper has to come off to removed the rim. But that part will work fine. More worried about symmetry and support.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think, to do it properly, you'd probably end up with an investment pretty close to the price of a new fat frame.
I've got ways to do the metal work without running up costs. And besides I think it would be neat to do it, not to save money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw that earlier and downloaded the pics. Thanks!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts