Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ghost ride the whip!
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So If I want to run a single ring up front I need a chainguide and a bashring. Plus the crankset and the chainring. Does anyone make a combo of this stuff besides mrp? Or are there any places that will hook you up if you pick out all the stuff. I'd perfer steel but will take alloy and I want a 36t. I just don't want to spend like $300 for the front end of my drivetrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
inkdwheels said:
So If I want to run a single ring up front I need a chainguide and a bashring. Plus the crankset and the chainring. Does anyone make a combo of this stuff besides mrp? Or are there any places that will hook you up if you pick out all the stuff. I'd perfer steel but will take alloy and I want a 36t. I just don't want to spend like $300 for the front end of my drivetrain.
U can get the FSA WILD CHILD crackset with BB for arround 100 bux , spider 20bux, chain ring and bash maybe another 50 or so.

there u have a nice brand new single ring set up with steel cranks for under 200bux.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
JBsoxB said:
what about chainguide?
well then... 100 crack/bb, 100 +/- chainguide (blackspire,e13,mrp), 20spider, 20 chainring

the hole set up for under 250, and that's buying new at retail price...

btw...
do u have any idea where can I get BMX stuff, like ss chain and chainring ?
 

·
crumb
Joined
·
890 Posts
EastCoastHucker said:
thanks but wtf with danscomp...!!?
every single person that I ask about a BMX site tells me the same: www.danscomp.com , there is any other BMX site beside that one..!!
no, there isnt.
but seriously i cant find another one, and when i do theyre prices are higher anyway. look around for a promo code form the danscomp booklet, it saved me like $40 last time.
 

·
Non Dual Bliss
Joined
·
6,240 Posts
inkdwheels said:
So If I want to run a single ring up front I need a chainguide and a bashring. Plus the crankset and the chainring. Does anyone make a combo of this stuff besides mrp? Or are there any places that will hook you up if you pick out all the stuff. I'd perfer steel but will take alloy and I want a 36t. I just don't want to spend like $300 for the front end of my drivetrain.
If you just want to run a single ring, you don't need a dedicated bash and chain guide. You can sandwich your chainring between two other old rings that you grind the teeth off of and then since without the other front chainrings you don't have to have so much slack in your chain and can keep the rear D pulled forward. See the pic for an example of how a chain is sandwiched, in this case between a bash and an old ring. It's ghetto but it only costs a few minutes of your time and some old rings. If you're racing, then definitely get a chain management system.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
EastCoastHucker said:
thanks but wtf with danscomp...!!?
every single person that I ask about a BMX site tells me the same: www.danscomp.com , there is any other BMX site beside that one..!!
You can get that at the LBS that you normially deal with. If they order from QBP they have the abbility to order MTB or BMX for you.
 

·
Ghost ride the whip!
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But I don't have cranks right now. Im currently building up a bike. I think im going to get a set of FSA V dirve extreme crank arms (pricepoint has em cheap) and run 2 e.13 bash guards on either side of the chainring. If one of the bashguards is too close to the chain i'll just cut a groove. So it will turn out something like Aaron Chase's setup. I think.
 

·
Non Dual Bliss
Joined
·
6,240 Posts
inkdwheels said:
But I don't have cranks right now. Im currently building up a bike. I think im going to get a set of FSA V dirve extreme crank arms (pricepoint has em cheap) and run 2 e.13 bash guards on either side of the chainring. If one of the bashguards is too close to the chain i'll just cut a groove. So it will turn out something like Aaron Chase's setup. I think.
That might work but the e13 guards are pretty thick, 13+mm, so you're going to have to have the cranks pretty wide to clear the chainstay/yoke on your bike and it will take some wicked long chainring bolts to tie it all together. I predict you'll have trouble making this work so it'd be in your best interest to try mocking something up to check the clearances on your bike before spending your money.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
inkdwheels said:
But I don't have cranks right now. Im currently building up a bike. I think im going to get a set of FSA V dirve extreme crank arms (pricepoint has em cheap) and run 2 e.13 bash guards on either side of the chainring. If one of the bashguards is too close to the chain i'll just cut a groove. So it will turn out something like Aaron Chase's setup. I think.
It just keeps getting more xpensive then. Buy blow out cranks w/bb http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...rankset-w_-Evolve-FR--BB-COMBO-22_32_Bash.htm
& a chain guide. If you try to get fancy you will just complicate things. The things the pros have is called "speciality one off" you basicly have to be sponsored or have lots of time & machine shop.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top