Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Possible dumb question.

I am running a single ring on the front of my Giant Trance X2 and my Jamis Dakar, and the chain comes off both of them down real choppy downhills. If I put the front derailers back on do you think that will eliminate that problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
You need some sort of guide if you're running a RD. The FD would work, but THIS with bash ring would probably look cleaner. Weight could be an issue though. Disclaimer: I've never used it myself, It's just something I've seen posted a few times before.

·
What's "social pace?"
957 Posts
obvious questions:
are you running a short cage rear derailleur? if not, why not? if you are, good for you, check to see if you could stand to pull a few links out of your chain.

are you using a singlespeed chainring? if not, why not? if you are, good for you, you want one of these:

It's a Rohloff chain guide. they're about 60g but you can modify it to weigh less.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have the chain stop, but it still falls off.
I do have a long cage rear derailer. (the short is good idea)
I dont have a SS chainring. (another good idea)

All of my parts are brand new so I think I am going to put the front derailers back on and hope that eliminates the falling off.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jerry12 said:
Buy 2 BBG guards, super cheap and lite!
http://www.bbgbashguard.com/
Watch out on trying to run the BBG (or any) chain guide on the inboard side unless your frame has elevated chainstays. In my tests with a Scott Scale and a 32t single ring, the cranks wouldn't install all the way before the inboard chain guide hit the chainstay. Hard to tell from the pics on Giant's site if that would be a problem with the Trance X2, but with a normal hardtail, it will very likely be a problem.

The N-Gear Jumpstop (linked before) is an *excellent* solution, and is really quite light. Run that with an outboard chain guide (like the BBG or a Spot, although the Spot is heavier) and it will work just as well, look better, and be far lighter than installing a "fixed" front derailleur.

Also, a quick run down to the local home center or hardware store can get you a piece of polycarbonate meant for replacing broken window glass. A little bit of work and you can make yourself a guide ring which is clear and works just fine. I've made two so far and neither has had any problems, including log crossings which hit the ring/guide. Does look a bit hand-made though, but that's my fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.