Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Shimano M505 pedals and single release cleats that only release when I twist my heels outwards. I'm worrying if they'll result in ankle inury in the event of a crash, since the "only" way out is that one motion. Even the manual says it's not designed to release during a crash.

I fell down twice already while gtting used to the pedals at near standstill while clipped in. Both times I fell and spun towards my left, with my right shoe unclipping and my left foot coming off the shoe, which stuck to the pedal. Perhaps luckily I rode with both shoes a little loose, but if they were tighter I don't want to imagine spraining or even dislocating my ankle. Oh, getting my sock in mud wasn't fun...

There are the optional multi release cleats to get, but the manual says they also release from UPward force :rolleyes: I ride xc and will be learning bunny hops, progressing to slightly more technical stuff, so I don't want platforms.. So should I stick with single release cleats or switch to multi release? I'd like to avoid buying new pedals/cleats/shoes..

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
A. You should not be trying to get used to clipless pedals on your favorite trail, in the mud, or whatever. You should be doing it on a grass field because you will fall a few times. After that, you should try on some real tame terrain at first.

B. The"single release" cleats release fine for me in a variety of directions. It does take more force for them to release in other directions, but they are not "single release" in terms of "heel-out", you can twist your heel in and they will also release. If you can not do this you may have issues with the angle and position of the cleats within the shoes. You obviously won't be able to release that way when the crank is blocking your ankle.

C. Many people feel the "multi-release" cleats let go too easy, but they may be good for you and for beginners.

D. Make sure the tension on your pedals is adjusted full-loose at first.

E. You can hurt yourself in a crash. They require action to release. This becomes second nature after a while. Do not try to ride technical sections "unclipped", that is a great way to crash due to the lack of control you'll have. If you are unsure of your abilities and feel that you should unclip ahead of time, you should stop and walk said section. When you get better with clipless pedals you'll learn how they give you MORE control in techincal sections. Defeating that benefit is what leads to crashes..

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
shouldn't be a problem

I've been running Frogs, which are single release for 8-10 years without issue. In fact with frogs you cannot pull out of the cleats under any condition unless you rotate the heal outward. The closest I've come to injury was climbing cliffside on a new set which weren't properly adjusted and ripped my foot out of the shoe rather than unclipping.
When I've tried shimano one of the things I didn't like was the fact that under heavy pull I could pull out of the pedal with only normal rotation of a couple degrees. I like being locked in.

·
Registered
695 Posts
slowrider said:
I've been running Frogs, which are single release for 8-10 years without issue. In fact with frogs you cannot pull out of the cleats under any condition unless you rotate the heal outward. The closest I've come to injury was climbing cliffside on a new set which weren't properly adjusted and ripped my foot out of the shoe rather than unclipping.
When I've tried shimano one of the things I didn't like was the fact that under heavy pull I could pull out of the pedal with only normal rotation of a couple degrees. I like being locked in.
Are you a roadie too? Only asking because those guys never want to come out of their pedals even in a wreck.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The multi release cleats are OK for beginners, but they release way too easy and end up being more of a hindrance than anything. Releasing at inappropriate times can be dangerous as well. As mentioned previously, the single release cleats will still release is you yank up hard enough, especially if you have your pedals set loose.

Time, Crank Bros, Speedplay, Wellgo, Ritchey all use single release cleats so riders have been doing fine and dandy for 15+ years on them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm that sounds pretty reassuring single release can detach the other way with enough force - maybe I just can't twist inwards hard enough to release mine?

I've actually used clipless before on my road bike, but never fell on it. These M505's are my first MTB clipless, but felt confident enough to go up that lil muddy hill. Guess I wasn't used to unclipping during an accidental wheelie :D

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I've been riding with single release cleats for 3 years and about the only thing I haven't hurt in a crash is my ankles. Sometimes I am still clipped in after the crash and sometimes the bike and I go our own ways.

Tighten up your shoes and you might release instead of losing the shoe.

FWIW you have my permission to stop worrying about it and go ride.

Edit...kick your heal out and down at the same time to get your foot on the ground fast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gmcttr said:
I've been riding with single release cleats for 3 years and about the only thing I haven't hurt in a crash is my ankles. Sometimes I am still clipped in after the crash and sometimes the bike and I go our own ways.

Tighten up your shoes and you might release instead of losing the shoe.

FWIW you have my permission to stop worrying about it and go ride.

Edit...kick your heal out and down at the same time to get your foot on the ground fast.
Good point. I always think of twisting OUT first then down to the ground.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Listen to Jayem, get used to them in a field or a very easy trail first, it WILL come naturally after the learning curve.

Second, off road cycling is a dangerous sport and it has its risks, as you probably already know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.