Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!
I am running prophet 4X which has a 1x9 setup. I has a 36 tooth chainring. I was wondering if anyone out there really knows the ideal chainring size for a Prophet? From what I understand chainring size can have a big influence on a single pivot bikes performance.
Or is this information just as much hype as all the other suspension design stuff I read in advertisements and advertorials?
Anybody who knows what the supposed effect is I would be happy to learn.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
32-36

if the pivot lines up perfectly with the ring you are running, great. The dale single pivot has been matched to handle the best in the middle ring. Honestly, I think it may be 34, the std middle ring size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are the pros & cons

Hey thanks Damion. I am pretty sure that my 4X runs a 36 tooth (it has 36 stamped on it) and I poked a spoke through the pivot the chain is a little on the inside; that is the spoke goes over the top of the chain and chainring.
Mostly I am wondering what are the theoretical pros and cons of going bigger or smaller on the chainring?

·
Registered
554 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:
Single pivot is the single biggest reason I've never got into a C'dale... love the lefties though, converting my Santa Cruz Blur next week...
And to think that it's exactly the reason why I got a Cannondale FS!! I just like the ride better than multi-pivot bikes. To each his own I guess.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,264 Posts
jiar577 said:
And to think that it's exactly the reason why I got a Cannondale FS!! I just like the ride better than multi-pivot bikes. To each his own I guess.
yep...same here....I had a Raleigh multi link bike before, kept my Super V though as the ml bike always wheelie'd on steep climbs and the darn suspension sagged....I clear the same climbs on my Prophet with no issues...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
jiar577 said:
Very true I guess... I've favored the "DW link" (like Santa Cruz Blur, Ibis Mojo etc) for a couple years now... for the previous 8 years I was all single pivot... so I was in the club at one point :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.