Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need opinions on both. I was looking at an '04 Scott Nitrous mountain bike. I almost purchased it, but I found out two things that kinda concern me: first, it's a single pivot swingarm. I'm not sure how they perform relative to the four bar linkages...and how it would affect my style of riding. Second, it has a Marzzochi Z1(sp?) with a lock out feature. It seemed like a good fork, but then I found out it doesn't have any rebound damping settings. I'm not sure how I'll live with that.

Your input is appreciated.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
jtomasik said:
I need opinions on both. I was looking at an '04 Scott Nitrous mountain bike. I almost purchased it, but I found out two things that kinda concern me: first, it's a single pivot swingarm. I'm not sure how they perform relative to the four bar linkages...and how it would affect my style of riding. Second, it has a Marzzochi Z1(sp?) with a lock out feature. It seemed like a good fork, but then I found out it doesn't have any rebound damping settings. I'm not sure how I'll live with that.
Your input is appreciated.
Single pivots come in alot of flavors. Your best bet is to go test ride a bike, the hard part is why is the bike shop going to let you test ride a bike off road? Tough possition. Any reason for the Scott?
What type of riding are you planning?
How much do you want to spend?
About what travel are you looking at?

Nice air on the moto :cool:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Ok

I no nothing about the Scott's except that you can't use aftermarket shocks on the shorter travel bikes. I've owned about 10 different single pivots and I like the ones with the pivot point closer to the BB because they are more active and have less pedal feedback and less effect on the drivetrain. My favorite I've owned is a Foes Fly, with the swing link, low pivot and floating brake it has none of the classic single pivot problems. If I were going to buy a single pivot I'd look a 3 companies. Foes, Ventana and Turner. Foes has the new FXR for $1550 in 5" or 6" but it's 8.5 lbs frame only. Ventana and Turner are about $1900 and can be had in lighter and lesser travel options than the Foes. All three companies have fantastic customer service reputations. Fully built Cannondale Rush and Prophet bikes can be had for about the same price as the frame only from those companies and they have a TRUE lifetime gaurantee but the pivot point is a bit higher than I like.

·
Demon Cleaner
783 Posts
I'm not in the market for a freeride bike, but I like the Scott

I was looking these over in the LBS the other day while buying other stuff. Just for fun mind you. However, I was pretty impressed. I like that they provide a lot of adjustability. They also seem very stoutly built and were steeply discounted in price.

As far as the single pivot goes. It's a non-issue. Folks argue about it all the time, but if you like the way the bike fits then whether it is a single pivot or not should be the last thing on your mind. And this is coming from someone who owns a FSR (Horst Link).

My only question about buying the Nitrous would be whether I could really use all that travel and metal. The bike is built. And my wheels don't leave the ground much. So for me it'd be a silly bike. However, from looking at the picture in your profile, I think it might be just right for you. :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking I'm going to purchase the Scott. I went to the shop and rode several bikes (Specialized, Scott, Cannondale, Kona Stinkee, Intense, and one other I can't remember the name of). They all had their own "personalities", so to speak. I'm thinking my style of riding will still be somewhat of what it was before, but now with more fun factor on the downhills. I used to be into making great uphill climbs through brute force. I still want to do the climbs. I never got into the "downhill only" scene because of my motocross stuff (yeah, downhill bikes are fun, but, to me, they'll never have the fun factor of my YZ).

The Scott was light for a bike with the amount of suspension it has. It handled very well...similar to a cross country bike. It had the right ergonomics for my frame. It supposedly is built well (per the reviews I've read). It also accelerated well, suggesting it'll be decent for climbing.

I just needed to hear about drawbacks of the single pivot swingarm and the forks. The forks are still undecided, since what I've read says they should have rebound damping. Even if they don't, I can upgrade later. The single pivot sounds like a non-issue. I'm still looking, but the Scott seems like the best deal.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Dont wory about the single pivot, VPP, 4-bar, yuppie foschwizzel link, if you feel the bike fits your style of riding, your comfortable on it that is your bike! As for the fork i refuse to comment, not a Marz fan. Some one will reply on that one soon :D.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dogonfr said:
Dont wory about the single pivot, VPP, 4-bar, yuppie foschwizzel link, if you feel the bike fits your style of riding, your comfortable on it that is your bike! As for the fork i refuse to comment, not a Marz fan. Some one will reply on that one soon :D.
I'm kinda expecting the fork to be a change out within a year. Of course I'll live with it first...never know, it might be ok. The deal on the Scott is pretty good, from what I've heard and read. I just visited one of the riders from this board, and it seems to me that the mountain bikers change out forks as often as a motocrosser changes his rear tire.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
jtomasik said:
I'm kinda expecting the fork to be a change out within a year. Of course I'll live with it first...never know, it might be ok. The deal on the Scott is pretty good, from what I've heard and read. I just visited one of the riders from this board, and it seems to me that the mountain bikers change out forks as often as a motocrosser changes his rear tire.
Not quite as bad but good analgy. Go with a Fox 36 with springs. Im old school dont belive in air forks, give me springs :).

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I have a Nicolai M-pire and I need to say I was a little concern about the single point design before I got it...

but now that is home and i get to ride it in the proper aplication all the worryes when away..

I think do to the Linkage progresion, the bike pedals like a dream.

I also got to ride a few others bikes with single pivot points including my own Giant DH with a very similar pivot location and the diferences can not be greater (the giant is a very well regarded platform, but not even close to the Nicolai's in terms of design)

in short that i'm trying to sayis is that the Pivot point type is not as critical as the quality of the overall design that sorround them.

with that in mind...

VPP Bikes pedal better than anything, but also the suspension works extremlly well..

I hope this helps, even if the bikes i post are a little away from your target.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.