Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes you find a frame manufacturer whose geo just fits ... even if it doesn't have 32 pivots and bearings.

Here is is with his bigger brother:

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Blatant said:
Sometimes you find a frame manufacturer whose geo just fits ... even if it doesn't have 32 pivots and bearings.

Interesting....I remember you liking the high forward pivot Astrix as well if I'm not mistaken.

I have never had a high pivot bike, but have liked all the low single pivots I've ridden

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I liked my Yeti AS-X too, excellent bike, but would sometimes get some nasty brake jack-I just adjusted my riding technique and it was fine. It was 40 lbs with Ti spring, bet both of those bikes are lighter.........................

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Simple yes...

effective.... not so much. Those high forward single pivots SUCK with loads of pedal feedback and BOBing while climbing; Brake jacks up the wazoo while descending and is probably one of the worst suspension designs made. After spending years on a Mountain Cycle San Andreas back in the early 2000's, I have now owned just about every type of MTN bike suspension developed. This one ranks the lowest (IMHO). Sorry man, didn't mean to kill your new bike stoke but felt the need to add my .02.

·
No Clue Crew
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, it's MY coin that I worked for. Second, after using a variety of "modern" suspension designs, I like the single pivot. I know, I know. It's absolutely crazy to go against all the e-riders and their suspension theories. Like all Luddites, I'll struggle through ...

·
No Clue Crew
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AZmtncycler said:
Sorry man, didn't mean to kill your new bike stoke ...
Really?

Pic is the maiden voyage this afternoon getting ready to drop into Upper Cheesegrater.

Wanted to get in a quick loop today just to get a feel for the bike. From 40th/Shea, 100 to 1A to Irregular, HAB up Upper Hairball, then down Upper and Lower Cheesegrater and back around to the truck.

All the usual caveats apply: It was kinda hot, I haven't been on a pedal (ie, non-shuttle) ride in three weeks, I'm on vacation and drinking too much, the leftover pizza I had for lunch was fomenting revolution in my stomach, ad infinitum ...

The first ride went well. I built this to be relatively light and pedal-able. Turned out to be about the same weight as my El Guapo (32-ish pounds) which is fine. I short-shocked this build, running an 8.5x2.5 RP23 instead of the spec'd 8.75x2.75 shock. This reduces the travel down to about 6.8 or so, slightly steepens the HA (to 65ish) and lowers the BB to about 14.1 or so unsagged.

In this configuration, the bike seems to ride down in its travel a bit more than I'd like. I'll probably need to experiment with air setting or, God help me, use Pro-pedal. There is some feedback climbing in the granny ring, but nothing that held me up. I think if you're a person who really turns perfect circles while spinning, it would drive you crazy. For a hack like me, I notice it but it's not a bother..

This thing just kills it on the downs. I way overcooked the first few switchbacks on Upper Cheese not realizing what a rocket this is. I found I didn't have to hang back so far; biasing my weight toward the middle seemed more effective. Also, the bike seems to like a lot of rear-wheel input; like force-skidding into a line. It rewards good braking technique, which will be a learning experience for me.

Pleased so far. I think it'll be a fun rig. Even if it doesn't have enough pivots ...

·
No Clue Crew
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The orange one is an Izimu 8.2 travel DH bike. The white is the Shova LT. They look nearly identical, but the Shova has a shorter wheelbase, slightly longer top tube, 7 inches of travel and the frame is a couple pounds lighter. Oh, and it's got a more traditional seat tube so you can actually get your seat up high enough to pedal it.

·
It's a Sledgehammer.
357 Posts
People that complain about how bad high single pivots are just crack me up. Yeah they are the worst suspension designs (I've ridden them all too), but it just doesn't make that big of a difference. The other thing that is underrated is the relative quiet of the chain. I've been riding one for a long time and it's been bomber and it works well. Shrug. The other designs work better, but if a certain geometry fits you, that comes out on top IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.