Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kosher Princess
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some custom builders are creating single pinch bolt stems, and I was curious to what advantage this may have over 4-bolt faceplate designs?

The only advantages that cross my mind are simplicity and weight, but in terms of usability I'm uncertain, especially since removable faceplate designs seem to be all the rage.

Inform me with your analytical prowess, it'll be well appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
old school classic looks vs new school ease of use.

Snaking a bar through a pinch style stem is like playing with a wire puzzles not to mention you have to have a bare bar.

you won't find any single bolt stems on production bikes due to single point of failure. there used to be a lot of stems that only used one bolt for the steerer Trek's icon comes to mind and they were all recalled.

·
mbtr member
6,498 Posts
flyingsquirrelcycles said:
you won't find any single bolt stems on production bikes due to single point of failure. there used to be a lot of stems that only used one bolt for the steerer Trek's icon comes to mind and they were all recalled.

·
peace, love, happiness
403 Posts
derby said:
Single bolt stem sooner or later = creak, creak, creak ...

I'm pretty sure that you don't get creaking from a single bolt stem or from a 4 bolt stem clamp design. You get creaking because of metal scraping metal. Try putting some grease between the bar and stem clamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts