Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few pictures of these on the forums, and was wondering what the purpose of having one fork instead of two is. It seems to me like it would be much less sturdy, and always want to tip over to one side.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
What you are probably referring to is Cannondale's Lefty fork. It's designed to operate exactly like a traditional dual-legged model but at a weight shavings (since everything is fit onto one side).

Contrary to what the pics might suggest, there is no "tippy" sensation or tendency to lean due to the configuration.

Of course you may have noticed that it's quite a bit taller than a traditional single crown fork as well due to all of the internals being stacked. Like anything else, it's an acquired taste.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Leftys are awesome I accually rode my first one this weekend. Way more stiff and stable than my fox! I thought it would be wierd, it was wierd for about 30 seconds!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
SlimTwisted said:
What you are probably referring to is Cannondale's Lefty fork. It's designed to operate exactly like a traditional dual-legged model but at a weight shavings (since everything is fit onto one side).
The weights are basically the same or more. My Manitou R7 Elite which is typically around 400 dollars is a pound lighter than a comparably priced lefty fork. Just doing some simple research you find that the lefty forks are very comparable to a normal style fork in price and weight.

I have no first hand experience with a lefty fork, these are simply my findings doing simple research and comparing weight to prices online.

They do have super light left forks, but they look to be $1000.00+. For the Sub 500 dollar market, they look heavier than normal 2 stanchion forks.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
The Leftys were a niche item until Fox started providing internals. They really do ride well and suffer from almost no stiction thanks to the needle bearings used instead of DU bushings. The deal breaker for me was they require very special tools and parts to keep them working smoothly -- maintenance is not something you can perform at home. You'll have to deliver them to a knowledgeable Cannondale dealer to have them serviced.

·
Hail Satin!
248 Posts
Um the speciality tools they require are a shimano bottom bracket tool and a bike stand.
Cannondale is famous for makeing things the average person can't service. But the Lefty isn't one of them.
But that being said Cannondale does things to be different. It dosen't need to be better, just different. So that's why they as a company kinda suck. But that foork is smooth and stiff.
They do only fit on Cndale frames unless you use an adapter like this. And they require a special hub.

http://www.project321.com/bike2.php

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
chewymilk99 said:
Um the speciality tools they require are a shimano bottom bracket tool and a bike stand.
Cannondale is famous for makeing things the average person can't service. But the Lefty isn't one of them.
But that being said Cannondale does things to be different. It dosen't need to be better, just different. So that's why they as a company kinda suck. But that foork is smooth and stiff.
Just checked the Cannodale site, and yes the newer forks no longer require the castle type tools to remove the damper. I haven't tinkered with one since 2001, but it's good to see they're making them more user serviceable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.