Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall,
a bit ago i picked up a mountain bike mag, forget which one. and the feature bike had a single fork bike, or instead of a fork it had only 1 rod goin to the wheel, do ya know this bike. ive been trying to find it. not that i can affordit just wanted to check it out agian.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
It's called a "Lefty" fork, made by cannondale. They're good forks. You don't have to remove the wheel to change a tire. But if you do have to remove the wheel for some reason (like fitting it in your car), it's more involved than a traditional fork.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
GuruAtma said:
It's called a "Lefty" fork, made by cannondale....You don't have to remove the wheel to change a tire.
I hear this wonderful feature mentioned all the time in Lefty debates. I've never ridden one and I don't care to rehash any other assets/liabilities of the Lefty except for the one above. I would think it would be more cumbersome to change a tube on a rim while it was still attached to the frame, no? Doesn't seem like an asset worth mentioning. I'm guessing some/many Lefty owners still remove the rim to change flats, no? Just wondering.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There is no way I could ever get used to looking at that, it is just too strange! I'm sure its a good bike, but it never stops looking like there is something wrong. Kinda like a one legged man, I almost feel guilty for looking. A.H

·
Registered
251 Posts
aaron04 said:
There is no way I could ever get used to looking at that, it is just too strange! I'm sure its a good bike, but it never stops looking like there is something wrong. Kinda like a one legged man, I almost feel guilty for looking. A.H
Hah! That';s just what I was thinking!

Also it made feel as if I would have to ride with just one pedal, cranking! ;)

Nick

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
davis said:
I hear this wonderful feature mentioned all the time in Lefty debates. I've never ridden one and I don't care to rehash any other assets/liabilities of the Lefty except for the one above. I would think it would be more cumbersome to change a tube on a rim while it was still attached to the frame, no? Doesn't seem like an asset worth mentioning. I'm guessing some/many Lefty owners still remove the rim to change flats, no? Just wondering.
I agree, but I imagine that if you and I raced and were pretty good at it, then changing a flat would be something we'd want to do as quick as possible. Keeping the wheel on would be marginally faster if you practiced at it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
xocomaox said:
Too much weight on the left side? I wonder how good the shock is?
They look sort of goofy from the pilots seat, but they don't feel weird at all. I've ridden 2, one on a caffeine 29'er and one on an uber scalpel both for reasonably long demo rides on "real" trails. Nice ride and super rigid but they seem a little high maintenance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
wreckedrex said:
Nice ride and super rigid but they seem a little high maintenance.
Interesting. How so on the mtce side? That could be of interest, because while they look goofy I suppose they take off a bit of weight, and have the potential to be popular.

Nick

·
Registered
555 Posts
A guy at my lbs says they suk and are a joke, yes he is expierenced, no I dont have an opinion on them, dont bag on me

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.