Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm not as young and stupid as I used to be and I would like to have complete insurance for whatever happens to me while doing DH/FR. I have some kind of crappy health insurance from my employer, but it doesn't cover mountain sports.

Therefore I would like to be able to pay, for the specific days I'm riding, a complete insurance for whatever can happen to me. A coverage for damages caused by me to others would be nice as well.

I've tried searching this forum and others, but I always ended up reading about something else...

I believe that I saw a possibility to get insured directly at a resort when buying lift tickets, but I can't find that anymore.

Buying insurance for a whole month is not an option, since I will only have time to go riding maybe once a month and I already have some kind of coverage for normal stuff.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I'm not sure about short term coverage for domestic trips but I've gotten 3 day insurance for trips to Canada. It basically got me $25,000 for emergency evacuation to the US (where my normal ins. would work) or cover expenses if I made an ER visit that didn't require transport stateside.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Hmmm.... I've heard of add ons to travel insurance but not single day stuff purchased on site.

Your insurance though? Why mountain sports and not MMA, motorcycle racing, BMX, etc...? Once they start telling you they won't cover based on your hobby its time to look for new insurance. Gotten a quote for private yet? A single male can get pretty good rates in my state.

Personally I have my regular insurance + an extra accident policy from colonial + calstar (helicopter) coverage. I know that might not help in a once a month riders case though as it is a monthly expense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I work for a foreign government and I have some kind of travel insurance in the US. This means I get all necessary procedures covered in the US and then they pay me a ticket to get back to Europe and get everything done there. The problem it doesn't cover stuff like skiing and mountain biking. Therefore I would appreciate to be able to pay maybe $20 per day on days I ride to cover possible accidents. In my country I get that coverage at 40Euro/year ;)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Skippic said:
I work for a foreign government and I have some kind of travel insurance in the US. This means I get all necessary procedures covered in the US and then they pay me a ticket to get back to Europe and get everything done there. The problem it doesn't cover stuff like skiing and mountain biking. Therefore I would appreciate to be able to pay maybe $20 per day on days I ride to cover possible accidents. In my country I get that coverage at 40Euro/year ;)[/QUOT

Does it cover falling off a ladder, or down stairs..... Sometimes you have to get creative.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if I break a finger I can do that, but if a helicopter has to get me (when you expect some real costs) it will be difficult to say I was on a ladder in a ski resort ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible, that there is no insurance one can buy? I believe I saw somewhere an insurance you could buy directly with the lift ticket, does anyone know where they have it? I could try talking to the people at the resort who they get their insurance from...

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
Skippic said:
Is it possible, that there is no insurance one can buy? I believe I saw somewhere an insurance you could buy directly with the lift ticket, does anyone know where they have it? I could try talking to the people at the resort who they get their insurance from...
Yeah, this doesn't sound right. You sure about this? I seriously doubt that they are going to offer single day health insurance with the purchase of a ticket. Even if they did it would be sketchy at best.

·
Registered
301 Posts
kenbentit said:
I'm not sure about short term coverage for domestic trips but I've gotten 3 day insurance for trips to Canada. It basically got me $25,000 for emergency evacuation to the US (where my normal ins. would work) or cover expenses if I made an ER visit that didn't require transport stateside.
i'd like to hear a little more about this, sounds like a really good idea to have for my whister trips this summer.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Now that I'm jobless... I'm in the same boat. Aflac has their Accident Indemnity Advantage (Plan 1) package that pays 24 hour accident only insurance and then pays out-of-pocket expenses after that and costs (quoted last year) $39/month. I'm getting this on Monday. It won't cover your full expenses (for instance - only pays $25 per x-ray) but it would save you big bucks if you had to go to the ER. Or you could do like my buddies do and drag their sorry ass carcasses to the roadside and claim they were hit and run (so their auto insurance covers it), LOL, whatever works!

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - The better you get, the bigger you go, the more insurance you need!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
unless you are going out of the country then I wouldn't worry about it.

I lost my spleen and my insurance covered 450,000 hospital stay....BTW it doesn't cover mtn bikes either

·
Registered
252 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
That's how the USMC rolls...
:thumbsup: the few, the proud , the clumsy

my company just shut down so it has me uninsured as well. makes those 7ft drops look like a mile but for some demented reason it makes them look even more sick

just go to the free clinic, find the 1st homelss guy and say he beat the crap out of you. you get coverd and he goes to jail and isnt homeless anymore.

WINNING DUH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.