Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 6" single crown fork that won't make my bike a pig. This fork will be going on a Quasi-moto set up as a trailbike. I currently have a Talas that I'm pretty happy with. It's not as plush as I'd like it but it does the job. I do bottom it out quite frequently and I'm interested in having a slacker angle. What do you guys recommend for me? I prize value over chi-chi factore. I'm leaning towards an air shock to save weight. I've had my eye on the Z150SL as well as the "all mountain" series of the Zokes that are coming out sometime. Any other forks I should seriously consider? Anything interesting around the corner in 05?

Also, I noticed that the forks in the 6" range have either the QR20 or a through axle. Do I need to swap out my hubs if I want one of these? What do people do if they only have the fork mount roof rack trays?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
you are asking about 1.5 months too early. wait for all the '05 models to be released. only Fox and Manitou are selling '05 models now.

in the mean time, think about these:

why do you want 6" and not 5" or 7", and why a singlecrown?

do you need a 1.125" steerer, or are you going to use a frame that takes 1.5" or 1.125" steerers equally?

if you're considering air forks, are you ready for the different feel between a coil rear and air front suspension?

·
Please be quiet and ride!
65 Posts
Some Fork Options

There are quite a few 6" single crown forks comming out in 2005. I'm not sure about all of them but here are the ones that might meet your criteria:

05' Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus 110-150mm SPV 5lbs, Standard QR or 20mm Thru axle
05' Manitou Sherman Flick Plus 110-150mm 5.4lbs, QR or 20mm Thru axle
04' Marzocchi Z150 SL 150mm with ETA 5.3lbs, 20mm QR
05' Marzocchi All Mountain Series 110-150mm, 4.08-4.30lbs.Standard QR.

I thought that fox was comming out with a 6" single in 05' as well...

05' Marzocchi http://www.nsmb.com/gear/marz_sessions05_08_04.php
05' Manitou http://www.stevecramerproducts.com.au/brands/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_brand&BT=2&B=1

Good luck..

BB

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
On those weights.

Bikebrain said:
There are quite a few 6" single crown forks comming out in 2005. I'm not sure about all of them but here are the ones that might meet your criteria:

05' Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus 110-150mm SPV 5lbs, Standard QR or 20mm Thru axle
05' Manitou Sherman Flick Plus 110-150mm 5.4lbs, QR or 20mm Thru axle
04' Marzocchi Z150 SL 150mm with ETA 4.4lbs, 20mm QR
05' Marzocchi All Mountain Series 110-150mm, 4.08-4.30lbs.Standard QR.

I thought that fox was comming out with a 6" single in 05' as well...

05' Marzocchi http://www.nsmb.com/gear/marz_sessions05_08_04.php
05' Manitou http://www.stevecramerproducts.com.au/brands/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_brand&BT=2&B=1

Good luck..

BB
I can say positively that the Z150 SL is amazingly light for a 20mm 6" fork, but it weighs 5lbs., 2oz. or about 5.1lbs. The '03 Firefly 20mm weighed 5lbs., 5oz. or about 5.3lbs. I had/have both of those forks and weighed them on our 2 digital scales at our shop. I also find it hard to believe those '05 Zoke weights, though I'll not claim precise info on all of that series. The 150 SL is quite a bit different from any air fork I've experienced. It's plush and very tuneable. I think you'll appreciate the benefit of any 20mm axle setup regardless of the brand. There are some other 6" forks coming out, and there appear to be some good candidates among them. After seeing the info on these forks, I still have no qualms about the Z150 SL as holding its own among them. It ain't your daddy's air fork.

Attachments

·
65 Posts
Oops

Thanx,

I changed the weight for the Z150 SL. Why in the hell does Marzocchi list the weights of their forks without the steerer tube? That is how they have the weights listed on thier website.

FYI: I ride a Z150 FR

BB

Attachments

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gonzostrike said:
you are asking about 1.5 months too early. wait for all the '05 models to be released. only Fox and Manitou are selling '05 models now.

do you need a 1.125" steerer, or are you going to use a frame that takes 1.5" or 1.125" steerers equally?

if you're considering air forks, are you ready for the different feel between a coil rear and air front suspension?
Yeah. I figured I was a little early. The reason I want 6" is because I'm always bottoming out the 5" and I want to slacken the head angle a bit. I'd consider 7" if it weren't so darned heavy. I don't really need 7" right now. My frame has 1.1.25 headtube on it. 1.5 was way to expensive of a frame. I'm looking at air mostly for weight. I've ridden the Fox Vanilla, Float, and Talas. The Talas is a good compromise but it's not perfect. I've also tried my bud's Zoke FR1. Man that thing is plush but it's so freaking heavy.

I guess I'll wait it out.

·
65 Posts
You'll need a new hub.

If you go with a 20mm, you will need to get a new hub. You can get the 05' Manitous already. I don't know how, but I have seen people posting pictures of them on their bikes already, and I have friend that is getting a Firefly Plus next week.

BB

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
gonzostrike said:

actually he's asking about 4 months too early on the fox 36 ;)
(from what I heard from a little fox fairy today)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, you'll need a new front hub. I recently put a Marzocchi Z150 FR SL on my Rocky Mountain DH TO (Downhill Team Only). It's an amazing fork ... I love it. I went with DeeMax wheels because I got a deal at my local shop. In any case, you will need a 20mm front hub. There are some good choices out there.

One thing I ran into is that the Marzocchi QR20 forks require an 8" disc brake rotor (at least that's what I was told). When you're figuring your total cost, you would then need to factor in a new rotor and an adaptor if you don't already have them. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it does increase the bottom line.

As far as the fork goes, I love the adjustability. It took a little tuning, but it's now running perfectly. If you get one, be sure to break it in and get it set-up for your weight and riding style.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
well...i hate changing hubs out, so i dont want a fork that isnt 20mm, and id like it to be 5lbs or less, and being able to knock the travel down to 4" for climbs was real lucritive...I don't know, but i put myself on the waiting list :D The marzocchi all mtn seems fairly close to what I want, but I will wait and see. I'm not going to be a first year tester for manitou or rockshox, but i'll obviously keep my eye on them. Fox is fulfilling OEM orders right now with the 36, aftermarket is supposed to be around christmas now...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Like several have mentioned above, there is going to be a slug of new 6" offerings in '05 with a wide range of weights, axel to crown lengths, adjustable travel options, and various other options. The only offerings I've heard that have landed at retailers near, or not so near, to you are Manitous. Go-Ride.com has in the '05 Manitou Flick which is coil/oil, 130-150 mm, with a 20mm thru-axel. Larry at Mnt. High Cyclery either has or will have the Nixon a air, 0-145mm infinite travel, and an option of either QR or 20mm drop-outs.

·
Administrator
10,533 Posts
I use a z150FRsl on my bullit and love it. Getting used to the qr20 and 20m hub sucked, but I got an adapter for my fork mount rack that I can transfer with my bike between vehicles and it has lessened the only drawback to this conversion. I rode a vanilla 125RLC prior and the Z150 seriously is like stepping up one magnitude. It is stiffer, plusher, more active and way better on everything down or up. Plus it made my bike handle much better and looks cooler too boot. If you are in a hurry get the z150sl it is seriously adjustable and reasonable light, plus it is just plain silver, or if you are gonna wait get one of the new all mountain Marz' forks (some are the same as the z150sl) for '05 or the 66 *(Coil only but serious forkage).

I am pretty sure that you can get a 6" 20mm adapter for disks on the qr20 but going to an 8" will far better match the preformance of a new 6" single crown. You will need a new front hub, so look for a wheel or pick up a hub and have it built ala carte.

good luck

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
He is currently on a sub 500mm A to C fork, and you guys are suggesting he mount up a 538mm A to C fork (or more)? I know he said he wanted a slacker HA, but he's gonna fall off the back of his bike. The Loco was designed around a 4" fork. Talking about travel is nice and all, but what about geometry?

·
Registered
24 Posts
QR20 or not?

I would think that if one was going to upgrade to a 6" fork, a qr20 would be the way to go. Is this true or is the standard skewer/axle still able to eat up the hits that a 6" fork can offer?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Other options include the Hanebrink RIDE/Air Syndicates fork that MBA was giving rave reviews to a couple months ago is adjustable from I think 3 to 6" of travel with a quick turn of a dial. Also Foes is releasing a six inch travel CVT valved single crown fork as I recall. And the 2004 Marz DJ2 was available OEM in a 6" travel version (Norco spec'ed them on some models this year). I'd expect Suntour will have something also (if they don't already) as they are the actual manufacturer of Marzocchi's forks, and they already have a dozen really nice 4 to 5" travel singlecrowns that basically better marzocchi's models for any given pricepoint. Catch is they don't have a fancy brandname anymore and they tend to do mostly OEM sales (there's only one distributor in canada carrying any of their higher end forks). There's also the Magura Thor that came out this year, 6" travel and choice of 1 1/8 or 1.5 steerers, with Magura's spin on a pedal-platform valving with seperate adjustable high and low speed compression damping.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
DeeEight said:
Other options include the Hanebrink RIDE/Air Syndicates fork that MBA was giving rave reviews to a couple months ago is adjustable from I think 3 to 6" of travel with a quick turn of a dial. Also Foes is releasing a six inch travel CVT valved single crown fork as I recall. And the 2004 Marz DJ2 was available OEM in a 6" travel version (Norco spec'ed them on some models this year). I'd expect Suntour will have something also (if they don't already) as they are the actual manufacturer of Marzocchi's forks, and they already have a dozen really nice 4 to 5" travel singlecrowns that basically better marzocchi's models for any given pricepoint. Catch is they don't have a fancy brandname anymore and they tend to do mostly OEM sales (there's only one distributor in canada carrying any of their higher end forks). There's also the Magura Thor that came out this year, 6" travel and choice of 1 1/8 or 1.5 steerers, with Magura's spin on a pedal-platform valving with seperate adjustable high and low speed compression damping.
yes, but hanebrinks past forks completely rules out any chance of me ever trying them out, it's even possible that dan hanebrink finally figured out how to dampen a fork, but the problem is the numerous chassi failures, excessive stiction from huge surface area, and on and on and on. He's shown time and time again that he can not design a fork, there's a lot that would have had to change, and based on the past and what I have personally observed, I sure wouldn't be the one to be on his products-testing to see if they really hold up.

The foes is a 7" single crown with a huge axle (30mm) and some other features. At this point, foes keeps saying that they are not going to produce this fork, although given enough orders who knows?

Magura may bring something to the table, there was a review of one just a few days ago, unfortunatly the reviewers conclusion was that magura forks are not yet up to par with the other major offerings. It looks like a nice chassi though, so it'd be nice if it had excellent damping and was a real alternative.

Those suntour forks are trash, just like the marzocchi EX series that are the same forks with different names. The chassi is not bad, but the damping is crap. Ported dampers (SSV/SSVF) simply suck, there's no way around that.

You'll have the least chance of being sorry if you go with a fork from one of the big 4 manufacturers. In their high end forks they use worthwhile damping systems and for the most part, proven technology. The marzocchi all mountain, Z1, and 66 forks are looking to be pretty great, especially with new damping technology and adjustments. Manitou has the shermans and new nixons. Rockshox has a few, and fox has the new 36 comming out soon. Forks like the marzocchi all-mountain at 4.5lbs or the new 36 at less than 5lbs may not be as light as a huge thin-walled hanebrink, but they have damping in them that is ultimatley better, chassis that are ultimately better, and in the end a rider would be much happier with that rather than some marginal product from some marginal company.

·
65 Posts
Suntour does not manufacture all forks for Marzocchi!!

DeeEight said:
My understanding is that Marzocchi wanted a piece of the low entry level OEM market. They did not have anything that fit that level, so they supplied the lowers with the M arch and contracted with Suntour to have them produce the EX & EXR forks. Marzocchi name recognition with Suntour Econo prices. These forks were terrible. The other forks in Marzocchi's line are made by Marzocchi!!

BB

1 - 20 of 44 Posts