Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a dual chain ring setup and thinking of finally removing the smallest ring and put a chainguide on my 2012 spot.i dont use the smallest ring anymore as the dw link is so efficient! Any thoughts?would love to hear from single chainring users themselves.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am replacing the 22t granny with a 26t when I have some shop time, that may make the Granny more usable. (DW Spot)

On my Sultan, I am going 1x9.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The 'xc guide' by mrp or e13 can cover most types of riding. I moved to one on my felts 1x10 setup and it works great.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
It only depends on your fitness and trails. The benefits are silence and simplicity, I don't know what you're talking about with 'ugly'.
I've run 1x9 for a couple seasons on my Spot and only once did I wish I had the granny, had to stand and pedal for a huge mile long road hill. It sucked, other than that one time then 1x9 has been great.
If you don't use the granny, then why keep it?

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
I swapped to a 26t granny and love it. Much more useful than the 22t, and it reduces pedal kickback. I run 26/32 up front and 11-34 out back (9spd). Works VERY well here in New England.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run a 1X9 set up on my 5 spot. 34t up front and 11-34 in the back with an LG1 chain guide. Pedals awesome, looks great, and is silent. I used to have a dual ring set up with a 22t / 36t and found that I would just stand up and pedal it out in the 36 ring. So, went down to a 34t and dropped the parts I wasn't using. Running a single ring up front may not be for everyone, but it works great for what I do.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Ugly? no, its Cool

it depends what trail you ride, less hilly climbs maybe,

You won't need it(granny) until the time you wish you had it,
It's always good to have a backup;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm running a single ring. It's quieter, you get rid of the shifter and cable and most importantly the chain is much more secure. Current bottom gear is a 1:1 and I could do with something slightly lower on very steep hilly rides but it's great. Why carry something around with you that you don't ever use and that just makes the chain less secure? If it really gets too much, you can always walk (which is often quicker anyway when it comes to pushing a 22x32)!

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Unless you've done 1x9 or SS then you don't know whether or not you need a granny. All you naysayers need to put your big boy pants on and learn to embrace the pain of SSing. Makes 1x9 cake. And yes, I do have hilly terrain.
Otherwise your opinion is solely defeatist and without substance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I built up my brand new '12 5-spot a month ago. Went the 1x9 route, SLX cranks with 33t up front paired with an MRP G2 SL, and 11-34t in the back.
Coming from a dual ring and bash setup on the Sultam, I think the 1x9 setup is beautifully aestethically pleasing.
Climbs were tough to start with, but now my legs have adjusted and it works a charm. Perfect gearing for me. And problem of dropped chain all gone :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
It only depends on your fitness and trails. The benefits are silence and simplicity, I don't know what you're talking about with 'ugly'.
I've run 1x9 for a couple seasons on my Spot and only once did I wish I had the granny, had to stand and pedal for a huge mile long road hill. It sucked, other than that one time then 1x9 has been great.
If you don't use the granny, then why keep it?
+1, been running 1x9 on all my bikes for several yrs. If anything, I find the typical multi-ring set-up more "ugly" than the cleaner, 1x9 look. As mentioned, if you're not using it, don't keep it...

You may be surprised to see how fast you'll adjust with only one ring up front..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts