Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
190lbs of climber
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As it should be...

With two geared bikes arriving sometime in the near future (hopefully:rolleyes: ) and my old singlespeed meeting a tragic end, I needed a SS for the upcoming CCCX series. Tomorrow, this fork, wheel, and bars will go on, after the crown race switcharoo:

I'll be going from a 520mm axel-to-crown Pike to a 410mm A-C rigid fork. mmm XC! The bar-ends will compensate a bit...

Francois and others interested: with the re-addition of a SS bike to my stables, I need to complete the ride that defeated the Bianchi. Bring your cross bike and sportlegs!
9 to skyline, 9 to 236, 236 to China Grade, China Grade to Johansen Fire Road, Johansen to Gazos Creek Fire Road, Gazos to Park HQ, North Escape Road up to 236, 9 all the way back. Non-stop, it will take about 5 and 1/2 hours. Yes, we can stop occasionally.

When: Next Saturday!!! (feb. 10th) I will leave my house at 10am. Meet in downtown Saratoga at 10:15, or be a pansy and meet at Gap at 11:00. Get in 50+ mixed road/dirt miles in for mileage month!

·
190lbs of climber
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jrm said:
seeing how the chameloen geometry is corrected for a 520mm AC fork..
yeah... you're probably right. I have an el cheopo nashbar rigid fork sitting around that's 43mm longer and with less rake that I will most likely put on it. I'd like a little steeper HA as it will be used for XC, so this should be just right. I forgot that the other fork (the Dimension one) was on a 80mm suspension corrected bike whereas the Chameleon is something like 140mm corrected.
Thanks for saving my back from being way hunched over.
-Menso

·
190lbs of climber
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ewwwwwwww! ^ ^ ^
edit: "blasphemous rumors" that's a song reference, isn't it? I think everyone in the eighties had a "sick sense of humor". How else could they put up with their own 'culture'?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I agree with the others on the head angle. You would be better off with a Surly Instigator fork. Despite the rumors I didn't find it to be much stiffer than a standard 1x1 fork. It will feel at home on a chameleon. The other fork pictured with have you running like a 73-4* head angle. Very fast and responsive, but sketchy too. Also with your height it will be better to raise the bars up than using all of the spacers under the stem :thumbsup:

·
190lbs of climber
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm gonna do it rain or shine. Last time was in the rain, which was a lot of fun. Coming down 236 and climbing China Grade in the fog and rain is a very unique experience. But it'll be nice if it's sunny too...

Francois, you in?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.