Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been well over a month since I've ridden the Nomad and even though it's winter, I'm getting out for night rides and weekend rides. Part of the problem is that I have to take the Nomad apart and see why the pivots keep coming loose. Probably have to go with stronger loc-tite than the blue stuff or mix blue with something stronger. Maybe the bearings or pivot axles are messed up.. dunno yet though.

Of course, the other reason is that the FB with the RC4 shock is fricking amazing - being able to adjust the HSC and LSC seperately, with a boost valve and the BO not only makes the bike easier to dial in, but I've not had to f-around with the boost psi as much in the cold.

Overall, the DW-link a little bit more difficult to ride in the snow and slippery mud than a Horst Link but not too bad. I still wish the HTA was slightly slacker or that I had a little longer travel fork on it but I'm being pretty picky there.

Anyway, sure am happy that I made the plunge for the FB. Now I'm thinking of ways to make it work better for me.... 1x10 or maybe try the new Shimano 36t cassette when that comes out and go 1x9. I'm not sure I can make it up all the hills but there are people out riding single-speed bikes. I guess they aren't as fat as me though :lol:

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
i've been think 'bout a 1X10 as well... what size chain ring would you run?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dog said:
i've been think 'bout a 1X10 as well... what size chain ring would you run?
I'm pretty happy with a 32t - Where I ride, I can't go fast enough to use the lowest in back... we just have trails with turns and stuff. If there was a 36t out back I think I could push that gear up the steep stuff. I realize that some people in other places have trails where you could spin out a 32/11t or 32/12t but just how often are you going THAT fast?

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
i looked at the gearing and the 32/36 is a just few gears away from the 22/34...

i experimented with equivalent gearing to the 32/36 on a couple if very steep, long and technical climbs and it would give me some trouble there (non-local to me), mostly from an endurance perspective... but for all my local riding i always use the middle ring anyway... and, it would be great to lose a shifter pod...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, took apart the Nomad linkage today. There were a few bearings that came apart and in fact, in one of the bearings, the balls inside had cracked in half. Ugh. WTF do I do to my poor bikes?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
gticlay said:
Well, took apart the Nomad linkage today. There were a few bearings that came apart and in fact, in one of the bearings, the balls inside had cracked in half. Ugh. WTF do I do to my poor bikes?!?!?!?
Maybe you're too fat for your balls?

:D

Sorry. The last line of your first post set that one off.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evil Patrick said:
Maybe you're too fat for your balls?

:D

Sorry. The last line of your first post set that one off.
:lol: I hope those don't break in half.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought the Nomad with a DHX coil and moved to the DHX air. The bike is absolutely perfect with the DHX air.

I bought the Firebird with an RP23 and hated it (in my best mens on film voice) so I moved to the DHX air after trying the one from the Nomad with it. It's awesome with that... but I also bought an RC4 and ever since trying the bike with that, I haven't taken it back off... although I'm going to try the air again soon and I'm curious how the Nomad runs with the RC4.

·
Shut up and RIDE!
222 Posts
gticlay said:
Bought the Nomad with a DHX coil and moved to the DHX air. The bike is absolutely perfect with the DHX air.

I bought the Firebird with an RP23 and hated it (in my best mens on film voice) so I moved to the DHX air after trying the one from the Nomad with it. It's awesome with that... but I also bought an RC4 and ever since trying the bike with that, I haven't taken it back off... although I'm going to try the air again soon and I'm curious how the Nomad runs with the RC4.
how's the nomad with the rc4 now gt? i'm curious as i will be getting a nomad 2 soon with a dhx air.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doc-ock said:
how's the nomad with the rc4 now gt? i'm curious as i will be getting a nomad 2 soon with a dhx air.
I have been so happy with the Nomad running the DHX-air that I haven't even bothered with the RC4. With so many adjustments on the RC4, it takes a bit of time running down the same trail until I like it... since I'm mostly night riding or a single ride on Sunday's, I haven't taken the time to do that. Plus I like it so much on the Firebird the shock hasn't come off it.....

Just wanted to add: Coming from your FSR bike, give the mini-link designs a LOT of time to get used to. At first, I think you'll notice tons of pedal feedback then get used to it over time.

·
Shut up and RIDE!
222 Posts
gticlay said:
I have been so happy with the Nomad running the DHX-air that I haven't even bothered with the RC4. With so many adjustments on the RC4, it takes a bit of time running down the same trail until I like it... since I'm mostly night riding or a single ride on Sunday's, I haven't taken the time to do that. Plus I like it so much on the Firebird the shock hasn't come off it.....

Just wanted to add: Coming from your FSR bike, give the mini-link designs a LOT of time to get used to. At first, I think you'll notice tons of pedal feedback then get used to it over time.
thanks for the info bro. please keep me posted if you ever try the rc4 on your nomad. I always find your posts informative .. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
doc-ock said:
thanks for the info bro. please keep me posted if you ever try the rc4 on your nomad. I always find your posts informative .. :thumbsup:
Compared to the Firebird with a DHX Air, the Nomad with a Cane Creek Double Barrel feels pretty average. The original nomad with the VPP1 design has a suspension feel more similiar to the Firebird, but with more pedal feedback and bobbing.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The FB's I have ridden feel so "coil-like" with the DHX Air, I can't imagine it with a coil, although I friend I have shuttled with loves his set up that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts