Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since basically I'm bored and with sleep deprivation, I'm just going to rant for a bit....

On tuesday I f...ed up my boot partition in my PC.... So, I installed Linux. I kinda like it, but there are some things missing from Windows. Or most probably, I still don't know how to access them.

I tried several distributions (Knoppix Live CD, PCLinux and Fox Linux). Finally I liked Fox Linux and it's what I've installed. No problem with hardware detection, I have sound and nice graphics :D

Where I'm getting trouble is to mount the Windows partition to get my data... Grrr!!!! Warp, if you were as computer Saavy as cycle guru, I bet you could guide me ASAP to mount it ;)

I had no problems accesing the internet, I didn't need to configure the network card or user, just plug and play...niiiiiice!

Also, I seem to have a lot of stuff comming to me pretty soon: my new laptop, fox DHX shock, Banshee Viento Frame along with some goodies, Roam DVD. I hate waiting, but I think I'm not the only one!

Tomorrow I'll be swapping my rear tire from a Panaracer Cinder 2.25 tire to a Nev 2.1 DTC.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in part because I want to raise my hit count, hahaha, I've just installed Opera for Linux here. I tried Firefox and like Opera a little more. Both are pretty good :D

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Opera sucks, at first it runs preety good but then it can mess up your bookmarks and at the end it crashes as much as IE.

About Linux, you should try Ubuntu Linux, fxfvd knows a bit about it because he has it installed in his computer.

I'm about to leave this productive but crashy and old Windows for the almighty OSX :)

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tacubaya said:
Opera sucks, at first it runs preety good but then it can mess up your bookmarks and at the end it crashes as much as IE.

About Linux, you should try Ubuntu Linux, fxfvd knows a bit about it because he has it installed in his computer.

I'm about to leave this productive but crashy and old Windows for the almighty OSX :)
I've worked with opera for a looong time and I really like it. Fast and neat. But maybe it's just my experience.

Are you buying a laptop or desktop? I also thought about going for a mac laptop, but everything I run is window based, so I went with Dell..

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
I'm buying a laptop..

rzozaya1969 said:
Are you buying a laptop or desktop? I also thought about going for a mac laptop, but everything I run is window based, so I went with Dell..
You can run Windows XP in a Mac using Bootcamp/Parallels.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tacubaya said:
I'm buying a laptop..

You can run Windows XP in a Mac using Bootcamp/Parallels.
Maybe, but my primary use would be windows. It's like buying a FS bike to keep the shock locked all the time. But it's a really nice laptop. And, btw, Mac OSX is sweeeet!

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Maybe, but my primary use would be windows. It's like buying a FS bike to keep the shock locked all the time. But it's a really nice laptop. And, btw, Mac OSX is sweeeet!
Not at all, nowadays a Mac is like any computer including the Dells, it has the same architecture (Intel) just the OS is different.

Making two partitions in your mac you can select the biggest partition for windows and boot as normally, taking advantage of the option of running OSX whenever you want, which cant be done EASILY vicerversa (Dell with OSX). You also take advantage of the beauty of the computer.

The new Dell XPS laptops are great and their cost-benefit ratio is good
Just some thoughts.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tacubaya said:
The only thing I see Windows orientated computer builds and Windows OS itself beat Macs is for gaming...
nAHH.. you need an Xbox or PS for gamming :D

3D stuff is very strong in Windows (but not image and design tools). Once you break past the 'I hate MS', Windows is pretty neat. Unless you really are messing with settings and installing any kind of software, the lastest Windows builds are pretty stable.

I really didn't look into apple be4 deciding on my lap, but I think I still would have gone for Dell. I think it would have been cheaper than a similarily specked Mac. It costed me around 19,xxx, and it has:
-17 inch monitor
-1Gb RAM
-80mb hd, 7200 RPM ( I don't care much about size, but the 7200 RPM are niiice)
-Ati Radeon 1400 or something similar 3d card
-bluetooth (I don't know what for, but I ordered it ;) )
-Windows XP Profesional
-Microsoft logo, very important :eekster: (at least I think it will have one in there)

Even if I didn't need that much memory to run Mac OS X, I would for windows, so I think that I would have need to spend around 25,000 for a similar (I haven't checked stores).

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
I dont hate Windows, but I think that OSX is the way to go now since Windows Vista will requiere vast amounts of system resources.

My laptop which will cost about 1400 dls will have

13.3 inch widescreen glossy display
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
1Gb of Ram
60GB 5400 rpm drive
Superdrive
Bluetooth
Gigabit Ethernet

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tacubaya said:
I dont hate Windows, but I think that OSX is the way to go now since Windows Vista will requiere vast amounts of system resources.

My laptop which will cost about 1400 dls will have

13.3 inch widescreen glossy display
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
1Gb of Ram
60GB 5400 rpm drive
Superdrive
Bluetooth
Gigabit Ethernet
Neat. You'll buy it in your trip?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tacubaya said:
Call me a caveman, but I don't really give a crap if it looks good or not... maybe my engineering background and mind working out their ways.

But I find it dumb that an OS to use a large amount of your resources just to run. So, what's the use of having enhanced capabilities if they're to be used by the OS and the computer will run at a speed similar to that of a computer 5 years old?

I think Microsoft should work on making the OS smaller, while retaining it's capabilities (let's face it, wast majority of users do not need the OS to do more than what it does now) and make it stronger to attacks.

It craps me out that my PC has 512MB ram and a good part of it is not free because the OS and Anti-Virus.

Each time I hear a new software launched and that needs more resources, when major changes are visual interfaces, I have a bad time trying to figure out how they launche their products.

It's like presenting a job to a client and presenting the same work you presented six months ago, but just with 100 pages more and a nicer binder. It's dumb.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Warp said:
Call me a caveman, but I don't really give a crap if it looks good or not... maybe my engineering background and mind working out their ways.

But I find it dumb that an OS to use a large amount of your resources just to run. So, what's the use of having enhanced capabilities if they're to be used by the OS and the computer will run at a speed similar to that of a computer 5 years old?

I think Microsoft should work on making the OS smaller, while retaining it's capabilities (let's face it, wast majority of users do not need the OS to do more than what it does now) and make it stronger to attacks.

It craps me out that my PC has 512MB ram and a good part of it is not free because the OS and Anti-Virus.

Each time I hear a new software launched and that needs more resources, when major changes are visual interfaces, I have a bad time trying to figure out how they launche their products.

It's like presenting a job to a client and presenting the same work you presented six months ago, but just with 100 pages more and a nicer binder. It's dumb.
Yeah that is what I'm talking about. If you see the history of MacOS you'll see that it has allways retained to the times systems and has developed enormously. But then you see the change from Win2k to WinME and its the same... or WORSE.

Windows XP SP2-MCE is preety stable but, vulnerable to attacks, lots of holes and annoying measures "for more security". That's what Microsoft should implement in a Vista edition, security and reliablity instead of adding 3D capability to the GUI. Thats just competing against OSX... really dumb move.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tacubaya said:
Yeah that is what I'm talking about. If you see the history of MacOS you'll see that it has allways retained to the times systems and has developed enormously. But then you see the change from Win2k to WinME and its the same... or WORSE.

Windows XP SP2-MCE is preety stable but, vulnerable to attacks, lots of holes and annoying measures "for more security". That's what Microsoft should implement in a Vista edition, security and reliablity instead of adding 3D capability to the GUI. Thats just competing against OSX... really dumb move.
Seriously, I don't think I'd be using more capabilities than what I did with Win 3.11...

XP was better than anything previous, but it came at the expense of sacrificing a lot of resources.

I'm sick of it... If any of you knows how to install Linux or even MacOS, I'd give it a go.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warp said:
Seriously, I don't think I'd be using more capabilities than what I did with Win 3.11...

XP was better than anything previous, but it came at the expense of sacrificing a lot of resources.

I'm sick of it... If any of you knows how to install Linux or even MacOS, I'd give it a go.
Warp, I'jm using Linux right now. It's pretty nice, but a little technical for some issues. You can get a Live CD in which you can try Linux without installing anything to your hard disc.

PCLinux is a version of Linux that starts as a LiveCD, and if you like it, you can install it on your machine.

I think that on every software updates they will require more system resources. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Suppliers want to give more features, nicer graphics and still do what it did before. Also, every time there is newer hardware that might require new drivers. So, more disc and memory resources needed. And they still have to be backwards compatible. Although this isn't allways the case.

Dumb, but that's developing new software and hardware 101.

Don't forget, PC makers need to sell new computers. It's nothing personal, it's business ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Warp, I'jm using Linux right now. It's pretty nice, but a little technical for some issues. You can get a Live CD in which you can try Linux without installing anything to your hard disc.

PCLinux is a version of Linux that starts as a LiveCD, and if you like it, you can install it on your machine.

I think that on every software updates they will require more system resources. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Suppliers want to give more features, nicer graphics and still do what it did before. Also, every time there is newer hardware that might require new drivers. So, more disc and memory resources needed. And they still have to be backwards compatible. Although this isn't allways the case.

Dumb, but that's developing new software and hardware 101.

Don't forget, PC makers need to sell new computers. It's nothing personal, it's business ;)
With this logic, passenger cars would be the size of trailers nowadays... that anecdote of Bill Gates Vs. GM holds pretty true.

Even when the automotive industry is all Fed Up, the computing industry is just worst.

I'll try Linux... Seriously, I don't need all of Win bells and whistles... Actually I have all animations and effects disabled. I don't need things to look cute, I prefer raw speed.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Warp said:
With this logic, passenger cars would be the size of trailers nowadays... that anecdote of Bill Gates Vs. GM holds pretty true.

Even when the automotive industry is all Fed Up, the computing industry is just worst.

I'll try Linux... Seriously, I don't need all of Win bells and whistles... Actually I have all animations and effects disabled. I don't need things to look cute, I prefer raw speed.
What can I say? I just say what I think the industry trend is.

Personally, I liked Windows 2000 better than XP, but now it's impossible to get it elsewhere.

Yes, the GM-Microsoft comparison is true.

But, more people find it easier to use PC nowadays.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts