Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just Ride !
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've allways rode with tubes, after two thorn punctures today I converted my rims to tubeless with stans sealant...? I have is the sidewall more compromised to sidewall cuts? Tire sounds hollow w/o a tube LOL.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I've allways rode with tubes, after two thorn punctures today I converted my rims to tubeless with stans sealant...? I have is the sidewall more compromised to sidewall cuts? Tire sounds hollow w/o a tube LOL.
Well, sort of yes and no. The main reason that a tubeless set up is more prone to sidewall cuts is that most riders tend to run significantly lower pressures with tubeless. This increases the size of the contact patch, but it also flattens out the profile of the tire, i.e. makes the sidewalls of the tire bulge outward more more, exposing the sidewalls to more trail debris, etc. It also tends to make the tire less stable and easier to roll over onto the sidewall in aggressive turns. Also, even with the tire inflated to your tubed riding pressures it will be more supple, i.e. flexible. You'd be amazed at how much support that thin rubber tube gives to the tire. So yeah sorta. The thing is the tire itself (construction wise) is no more prone to sidewall damage than it was before. It's primarily running lower pressures and/or the increased flexibility or suppleness of the tire that tends to expose the sidewall to the trail more. Construction wise, anything that tears or punctures the tire run tubeless, likely would have done the same had the tire been tubed.

I wouldn't worry about it unless your running lower pressures or ride in particularly rocky or rooty terrain or both.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.