Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very trust worthy friend of mine, who used to run a bike shop, stopped by my work today with this Sin. It belongs to his friend and his friend wants to sell it because he wants something lighter. It has 3 rides on it and it looks like it is in new condition. What do you think is a fair price?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I got my Sin frame brand new from MC HO for $250 with no warranty. It also came in the same white color and sticker profile so I'm betting that is an '06 frame. Mine did come with a 7.875 x 2.25 Progressive 5th 5-way coil shock and the revised shock cleat. You can use my cost as a basis.

I wouldn't buy one again though cuz mine broke after just a few rides.

·
Registered
784 Posts
JOURNEYC6 said:
I have one with almost no miles on it, heard about broken frames a lot.....where they usually brake?????
They normally break / crack / crumple on the junction of the down tube and seat tube mast where the shock mounting tab attaches. Try not to ride the Sin aggressively as it really is more fragile than it looks. My used San Andreas DNA outlasted my brand new Sin for 4 months of more aggressive riding but in the end it broke the same way the Sin did.

I sure wished MC built it tougher like it did the Shockwave.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mountain Cycle Shawn said:
$250 is pretty cheap! I talked to them yesterday and he was hoping to get $500, which is still cheap, but I just don't need another bike.
I wish your friend good luck in selling that for $500. Companies such as Jenson USA are closing out brand new frames much lower than $500. As a matter of fact I got my DNA replacement from Jenson for $589.

I understand the appeal of owning a fleet of bikes of the same make. Unfortunately both Sin & DNA just didn't work out for me and Im.more than happier with my current stable.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
JOURNEYC6 said:
so if mines breaks, whos to blame for the warranty?....gren fish or MC.????
Not the seller, Greenfish or otherwise.

The last I heard, MC was giving discounts on frames, to replace the Sin if it breaks.
The current owners had nothing to do with the design of the Sin, which was rushed into production by Kinesis without adequate testing.
They are however trying to help out the customers.

·
Registered
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If there is a problem with these frames, MC should be buying them back from the shops and that cost should have been factored into the price the new owners paid for MC. There is huge liability for MC, if someone gets hurt on a frame that MC knows has problems at the time it was sold.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Thats just it, same name, but different corporation. Or something like that...
Legally speaking, they are not the same owners and I don't think they are responsible for what happened under Kinesis's ownership.
In any case, they are helping people anyways.
Plus, not all the frames are breaking for some reason.
After seeing some of the riders photos, I've been wondering what some people are doing on their Sins and DNAs.

It's kind of funny...there have been lots of frame failures from other Kinesis brands like Jamis. I know this because I owned a Dakar XLT and so did a neighbor and his wife. They left mountain biking because of the bad first experiences.
Luckily my San An has been a great bike, even though Kinesis built it.
Had I known who built it before I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it at all.

The new Mountain Cycle is made in a better factory, under better and longer testing conditions.
That's why people were so frustrated, by the long delayed release date for the Battery.
The Battery prototypes were analyzed piece by piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.