Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about trying some altitude training on a machine. the gym chargers per session. i am curious to how much benefit can be gained from this. i thought full days at a time at altitude while training was the only was to make gains. has anyone used a simulated altitude type of training and how does it work. i am a 24 hour solo racer and also am curious if it is a good choice to try it for solo racing. it seems like it would be better for shorter races. also i live at about 1200 ft. can gains still be made from using it. thanks!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Don't waste your money. The benefit from altitude comes from the "Live High/Train Low". That means,you sleep at altitude to get the increase in red blood cell and hematocrit count, while you train in an oxygen rich environment so your muscles can be fully utilized.

The top olympians who live at high altitude, train with supplemental oxygen; not with less. Why? Because you're body simply doesn't produce at altitude as it does at sea level. To train hard, you need to train at your max, not in a diminished state.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
I did a bunch of research on this before taking a crack at the leadville 100. Sprocket is right. Sleeping at altitude is a good thing, training doesn't seem to do much for you. Your maxes are lower and you can't train as intensely at altitude. I think its good to do a few times in prep for a high altitude race, just so you know what its gonna feel like, but other than that train low....at least your high intensity efforts. Plus, I think you lose the pluses of being at altitude after a couple weeks anyway, from what I hear. I'm no pro, but this seemed to be the consensus of many a google search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.