Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
Wouldn't be a good idea. The fork in question has twice the travel and is much longer than the fork on the Yukon. Installing that fork would throw off the geometry of the frame and the bike would not handle how you expect it to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmmmmmmm i get the geometry part explane travel too me and could DH forks go on this bike at all thanks agian
 

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
The Yukon is NOT a DH bike. It is an entry level cross country bike. You should not put anything bigger than a 100mm fork on there (4").

If you do put a 7" fork on, the bike will be heavier, slower and harder to steer.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY: The frame will break. If you ride DH with the Yukon, the frame will bend or snap, possibly hurting/killing you. You put a big fork on there and the headtube will snap clean off - over the bars you go.

Not to mention that both of those forks cost almost as much as the bike itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Berkley said:
Not to mention that both of those forks cost almost as much as the bike itself.
lmfao yhea........ well give it some credit it would make at least a crappy freeride

i take what i can get cant afford a good bike so i settle for ok maby get a dh frame later on if i feel the need thanks for the help tho now i feel stupid but i learned :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
It really depends on how you ride your bike as well. I wouldn't put anything with more travel than 120 mm so the bike handles properly. Do you bottom out the suspension often where you currently ride? If you only bottom out once or twice per ride, you're probably okay with the fork you have. Or are you looking to get into DH / Freeride? Whatever you do, just keep in mind what kind of riding your bike / frame was designed for. Like was mentioned a XC frame could easily break trying to land a big hit. If this happened, even the cost of a broken arm would be more than a DH or freeride bike. If I were you,as long as the stock fork is working for you, I'd save the money towards a dedicated DH bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
emtnate said:
It really depends on how you ride your bike as well. I wouldn't put anything with more travel than 120 mm so the bike handles properly. Do you bottom out the suspension often where you currently ride? If you only bottom out once or twice per ride, you're probably okay with the fork you have. Or are you looking to get into DH / Freeride? Whatever you do, just keep in mind what kind of riding your bike / frame was designed for. Like was mentioned a XC frame could easily break trying to land a big hit. If this happened, even the cost of a broken arm would be more than a DH or freeride bike. If I were you,as long as the stock fork is working for you, I'd save the money towards a dedicated DH bike.
seems logical to me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
FROSTYBREWS said:
well give it some credit it would make at least a crappy freeride
No it won't. No matter how hard you try that will NEVER be a FR bike. Do not put over 100mm of travel on that frame or you will hurt yourself. If you sell that bike and take the money you would have spent on that fork you could get a solid used FR/DH bike..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Blonde said:
No it won't. No matter how hard you try that will NEVER be a FR bike. Do not put over 100mm of travel on that frame or you will hurt yourself. If you sell that bike and take the money you would have spent on that fork you could get a solid used FR/DH bike..
i keep getting slane i need to stop trying to know stuff and lay off the weed but u've got a point i could sell this and get a good bike well ok bike uh thats so much work or i could get a dh/fr frame and get new forks idk i am ****in broke i should work on that first
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
well you could buy a beefyier 100mm fork like the rockshox argyle, they wont be a freeride fork but they will be stronger and hold up to abuse, they are meant for dirt jumping, skate parks, and urban riding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spazzy said:
well you could buy a beefyier 100mm fork like the rockshox argyle, they wont be a freeride fork but they will be stronger and hold up to abuse, they are meant for dirt jumping, skate parks, and urban riding
na yo i just got off my ass and got a job imma be rideing something nice:D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top