Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I researched the GF site, I came to the same conclusion that the Carbon HiFi was the top dog.

The Trek Fuel is hot too.

I'm fast fowarding into my biking.
I got my Opie as a starter a month ago,
but I already want to get a really great bike now
instead of upgrading mine.

I'm also considering building a Knolly.
Truth be told, the Knolly for me is a lust affair.
But, I always liked GF's and being that there
are plenty of local GF dealers here,
servicing them would be far more convenient.

·
Registered
849 Posts
ok i know you said you wanted the 'best' but sometimes the best just isnt the best for you.

ive actually just been in the same situation as you about a month ago, on my list were:

hifi pro carbon
hifi carbon
trek fuel ex9.5 (carbon)
trek fuel ex9.0 (carbon)
trek fuel ex9 (alpha al)
GT marathon pro (carbon)
GT marathon team (carbon)
trek top fuel range
trek 69er top fuel

and i also had a few high end hard tails, i ended up with the not so top of the range trek ex9 - but, yes it isnt top of the range on paper it is a brilliant bike when you weigh up the costs. XO rd mixed with top of the line fox parts and some of the best brakes makes this bike awesome. and like i have done you would have a fair bit of cash left in the wallet - go buy yourself some carbon parts for it, ect ect.

im not tryin to tell you where to spend your money just showing you there are alot of open doors to some amazing bikes - as for servicing any GF shop will service treks without blinking an eye

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
liam2051 said:
ok i know you said you wanted the 'best' but sometimes the best just isnt the best for you.

im not tryin to tell you where to spend your money just showing you there are alot of open doors to some amazing bikes - as for servicing any GF shop will service treks without blinking an eye
Hey Liam,

I thought the same thing. I thought "best for me".
That's why the Knolly is a consideration for a custom builder.
I'm the kind of person that just can't leave well enough alone.
When I see all fo the Bontrager parts on the GF, I think "upgrade".
Not that they are neccessarily bad parts, but are they the "best"?

If I get a GF then upgrade it to the max, will it be better than a Knolly already customized?

To be brutally honest, looks matter to me.
And that GF HiFi & Trek's Fuels are eye candy.

GF's PhD is another work of art for me.
Looks like the Hummer of bikes.

I'm tempted to build my Opie out of spite for all the MTB snobs out there. :D
But it's just going to be a step up bike for me.
I love it, but I know that another bike is in my future.
(I might build it and take it to my house in Puerto Rico for my winters).

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steel29er said:
Best Bike Dollar for Dollar is the Ferrous 29er :thumbsup: (Biased)
Aw yeah...I caught those.

They look like awesome bikes for Urban Assault.

They look like what I envision my bike turning out to be "if" I mod it.
Straight handlebar, nice and low. Thick Street tires. A nice fat fork (fat just looks so hot!).

Kind of like a road bike, but with balls!

Fast on the street, but with the ability to leap tall objects in a single bound!

:D

In fact, all the 29's are hot (especially the Superfly and Cobia).
The Ferrous is definately best bang for the buck.
Costs about as much as the PhD.

·
Registered
849 Posts
ok admittance, im much the same, looks are very important to me also. as for bontrager unless its carbon its out the door.

i went down the line of building up my own ride.....and with my obsession with having some of the nicest parts available i easily ran my dualy well over $8 500 about $3700 over what the ex9 retails for. if you custom build you leave yourself open to alot of fun, the perfect bike [you hope], but alot of expense and selling on is all the more difficult [something i keep in mind as i swap my bike at least once a year].

if i were you id be doing the same as me, find a nice base bike and upgrade the heck out of it, if you do this in the shop they will [should] buy the unwanted parts off of you, again allowing more cash to bling the bike up.

the only negative comment i could make on the ex9 would be its rather back heavy, this is really obvious jumping the dam thing.....but replace that back wheel with something uber light, and maybe try get hold of a magnesium rocker and you have one hell of a ride

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Liam,
In contracting, we call that a case of the "you might as wells" meaning that once you start to altar a home, everything else starts to get changed too. Same with a bike for me.

I think that I'm going to have to go custom for my next/first real bike. When I was younger, I used to ride stock bikes, stock great bikes and custom bikes.

Nothing is better than a custom bike in my opinion.

I'll build up my Opie to get it to where I want to get it, beat it like a step child and make it my first (budget) builder. I'll learn with it. Maybe I'll keep it as a beater or as I said before use it as my island bike or maybe I'll have 2 bikes (hardtail street/DS street/trail)...why not.

I think I'll pick up a Knolly or GF or whatever else strikes my fancy when I happen to have a few grand in my hand and when I've done my research.

The more I learn, the more I flip-flop (excuse me, cough, cough) "adjust" my plans.

One things for sure...I'm done. It took me years to get back on a bike, now I can't see "not" going all out with it.

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.