Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am pondering a simple drive train using a novatec single speed rear cassette hub and 3 cogs...what i need to know is what specific parts do i need to use?...8 or 9 speed cassette spacers(what is the thickness of each spacer?) also 8 or 9 speed rear cogs would work the best?...also which corresponding chain?...also would it be best to use a short cage rear derailleur...a shimano 105 perhaps?..i guess a friction shifter would need to be used on a system like this?...also i have a schlumpf mountain drive 2 speed bottom bracket that would probably go with this set-up perfectly!:yesnod:...well if anyone can fill me in i would appreciate it very much!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
bazzman said:
i am pondering a simple drive train using a novatec single speed rear cassette hub and 3 cogs...what i need to know is what specific parts do i need to use?...8 or 9 speed cassette spacers(what is the thickness of each spacer?) also 8 or 9 speed rear cogs would work the best?...also which corresponding chain?...also would it be best to use a short cage rear derailleur...a shimano 105 perhaps?..i guess a friction shifter would need to be used on a system like this?...also i have a schlumpf mountain drive 2 speed bottom bracket that would probably go with this set-up perfectly!:yesnod:...well if anyone can fill me in i would appreciate it very much!
Sounds like a neat project you are thinking about. :)

Food for thought;

The thickness of the spacers you would use depends on what you use for a shifter. If you use a Shimano 8-speed shifter then you'd need the proper 2.0 mm thick spacers that they are designed to be used with. If you use a 9-speed shifter then you need 1.8 mm spacers. If you want to use a friction shifter (assuming you mean like the old thumbshifters, right?) then i'd say 8-speed. (<~ anyone want to verify this, just in case please?!??!?!?! thanks!)

What cogs you use is where it gets tricky. I did this a short while back and was fortunate to have a couple of old 8-speed cassettes that were riveted/bolted together (not the new style ones that are on a "spider arm" configuration - that WON'T work). I just removed the rivets/bolts (I had one of each cassette) and put what I wanted. An XT RD with an XT 8-speed RapidFire shifter, 8-speed chain and 16/18/20T cogs spaced with 2.0 mm spacers worked fine. Just like an 8-speed, only lighter and missing 5 cogs.

Use a chain that matches what you use for a shifter. There's differing opinions on what does and doesn't work, so if you stick with the "proper numbers" you can at least rule out some possible headaches.

A 105 RD would work well, yes. Less weight and you don't need the long cage IF you're not going to be running large cog tooth gaps or rear suspension. What I mean is you'll want to try to keep the cog tooth counts somewhat close. Trying to build a 3-speed set-up with a 12/22/28 may not work too well. That's a big jump for any chain.

Keep in mind that it would be handy to use the limit screws to keep the chain from accidentally being shifter off the cogs, eh?!?!?! With my shifters I set it up so that "1" on the shift indicator was the biggest cog, "2" was the middle and "3" was the smallest one. Just seemed intuituve at the time.

I think that's all I got. Sorry, no pics. This was one of those "i'm bored this afternoon" things that never warranted getting the camera out.

This would be really interesting with a 2-speed BB. I'll have to look that up. Never heard of it before. :confused:

Good luck and post up if you do it! Pics, too!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.