Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire
I built two simple beach bikes for our family 5 years ago starting with frames from the Walmart Mongoose Beast. No gears, no cables, etc, just upgraded bearings, lower gear ratio, better chain, drilled wheels, and lighter tubes and tires. Hose the sand off after ride and wax lube the chain. Worked great with the added bonus that without shifter knobs or brake levers there was nothing for little hands to mess with. The 4" tires handle the sand great, even when I get adventurous and lower psi to 4 and head into the dunes (I assume the 100mm rims help with keeping the tires attached).

Unfortunately even with hosing it off the cheap steel is succumbing to rust, not to mention the spokes. I have been thinking about building version 2.0 but in something other than steel. Problem is most carbon frames seem to be for high end, suspension, and multi-gear bikes. Is there anything out there in carbon or aluminum for 100mm rim, 4" tire, and coaster brake?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I’m looking to build two fat tire family beach bikes (child seats up front).

Really like the simplicity and safety of no shifters or brakes on the handlebars.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You’re probably in for a day of tearing them down, sanding, adding your favorite color of rust oleum, and rebuilding.
As for the spokes, cut them out and rebuild with same size and new nipples.
There is no magic for salt air corrosion.
You can get a more expensive frame, but the spokes are probably always going to rust up unless you spend big $$$ on Berd or titanium. Stainless spokes might get you a few more years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You’re probably in for a day of tearing them down, sanding, adding your favorite color of rust oleum, and rebuilding.
As for the spokes, cut them out and rebuild with same size and new nipples.
There is no magic for salt air corrosion.
You can get a more expensive frame, but the spokes are probably always going to rust up unless you spend big $$$ on Berd or titanium. Stainless spokes might get you a few more years.
unfortunately, they are too far gone.

I sprayed the insides of the frames with corrosion preventing oil when I built them, but it’s really cheap steel and rusting through.

So anyway, how does one build a carbon fat tire bike with coaster brakes and single speed? (Or a few gears sealed in the hub?)

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
Your best bet may be lacing new hubs into your rims to make them compatible with a carbon frame. Bike Hub Store hubs are pretty reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Been on here since day dot and riding the UK Scottish East Coast with steel Fatbikes over 13 years now and I have tried out a lot of different salt water corrosion products and nearly had it dialled except for a couple of things... until I came across a UK Marine Environment protection company that has now expanded into Vehicle chassis protection - being an Island the UK suffers coastal salt air and road salt in winter and have to say this stuff is the business!. Discovered them when I used their £60 kit on my Willys Jeep to protect the chassis and it comes in an available in a grease that can be melted and brushed on and a spray on liquid with their own fine spray applicator which also includes a 360 degree Wand - designed for applying the spray inside vehicle and boat trailer chassis, but i discovered it can also be used inside bike frames...
Been using it 2 months now on an experimental rust free Fatbike (an original 2005 Surly fatbike) and I am really really impressed... Oh I paid for this myself I'm not sponsored or anything... 3 links below...

Blog post

Lanoguard treatment...

Lanoguard company Youtube

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.