Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to line up a bike for this summer that's a comfortable long distance bike (white rim trail in utah in a day) and also something fun on steeper trails like the monarch crest in salida, colorado. i'd like it to be light (say 26- 28lbs) full suspension w/ ~4in travel and used. i like the looks of the giant nrs from a few years ago. what other older bikes are in the same field? maybe a stumpjumper? it looks like it has more travel than i need and the weight is a bit high. other thoughts?

thanks, dan (5'11", 165lbs)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Not sure if you ever rode a NRS...they were a very harsh riding design that had a suspension designed to have zero sag. The suspension only moved when you hit a large enough obstacle to overcome the stiction of the shock.

Comfortable Long Distance Bike and Giant NRS are not two compatible terms

Now, something like a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR is an active suspension that will provide WAY more comfort than those old NRS. Also, the current Giant Maestro suspension designs will provide a nice ride...such as the Trance. I would also look at DW-Link bikes like the Iron Horse bikes, VPP bikes like the Santa Cruz Blur, even a single pivot such as the Santa Cruz Superlight would be a nice choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions. i was only looking at the NRS for its price and 4" of travel. good to know that others would be more comfortable. i like the looks of the trance. i'm 5' 11", would i go with a medium or large trance if i can't ride one before purchase? the stumpjumper seems more expensive and i haven't researched the santa cruzes enough.

dan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Huh? NRS got great reviews. I never rode one, but my bud really likes his. And he rides it quite well. I was considering a Trance, but the newer ones have that curvy down tube - just begging for rock hits. It looks like the frame is protecting the chain rings, lol! I met a guy on the trail with one and asked him about that. He flipped his bike upside down and the tube was full of craters!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would just like to make sure everyone is on the same page. The giant NRS from 2003 had a suspension designed to run with zero sag. From 2004 until they stopped making them they used the horst link patented by specialized. Check out the archived NRS to the three spec patents they used.

·
Riiiiiide...
691 Posts
uncomplientspud said:
I would just like to make sure everyone is on the same page. The giant NRS from 2003 had a suspension designed to run with zero sag. From 2004 until they stopped making them they used the horst link patented by specialized. Check out the archived NRS to the three spec patents they used.
Im pretty sure it was always a horst link and always designed to run with no sag.. regardless of year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You may be right, however to show my point on how the suspension was changed here are some pictures

older style NRS

newer style NRS

The only reason i say that the older models did not use a horst is that the new models have footnote on the page citing that patents from specialized where used to make the bike. If you research the patent #'s turn out to be related to the horst link

·
Registered
804 Posts
The 2001 NRS I owned had a sticker on the chainstay with the Specialized patent number on it.
I am sure things were tweaked over the years, but the NRS very likely always rode topped out in it's travel. Also always had the Horst Link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.