Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I tried searching but couldn't really find XC trail suggestions in the Ouray/Silverton area. I should have 3-4-5 hours (depending on how the kids are) to steal away and get some miles in while out there on a family vacation. We're camping at Molas lake for a couple nights and then in Ouray for a few nights.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for XC trails in the area. I may be able to do a shuttle if there is a one-way trip that would be worth it. I'm coming from 7000' so the elevation won't be quite as bad a hit as if I was still living in Ohio.

Thanks in advance.

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
If you're staying at Molas Lake you will be super close to the CT trailhead near the summit of Molas Pass. You could ride several miles out and back or you could ride it all the way to Durango. You should get a Lat 40 map. I have one for the Dgo and the Silverton area, they are really helpful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with BGB. Doing an out and back on the pass would be the best bang for the buck without inconveniencing the family. Plus the riding is top notch!

·
Will Guide for Beer
727 Posts
Silverton/Ouray

I am no CO expert but have searched out trails in the Silverton/Ouray area over the years. No major single track, oodles of double track or 4wd roads. As mentioned, spin your legs above Durango (hit the Alpine Slides!!). Be prepared for some COLD weather as Little Molas is over 11,000 ft in elevation. I'll be a few thousand feet lower (Sig Creek/Hermosa Park Rd) where it will still be cool.

Your vaca sounds a lot like my July getaway. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Those two-track roads around there sure do suck. ;)

Seriously, you will find lots of places to ride just looking at the maps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts