Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current wheelset is Hope Pro2/Wheelsmith DB/Arch. I stripped the black anodization off the rims and polished them up. It was a lot of work and I'm not super thrilled with them. It's been a few years and it's time to start thinking about new wheels...

I'm looking for silver tubeless (or easily tubeless compatible/convertable) rims. They'd have to be 29er rims and in the same category as the Arch (XC, not superlight, not overly burly). I'm 165 in the buff, probably 175 ready to ride. I ride a rigid 29er SS (disc brakes) on the rocky, rooty, sometimes unfriendly trails of southeastern PA. I'm not particularly hard on wheels, but I did not have luck with NoTubes 355s a handful of years back. The Arch is about the lowest level of durability I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? Wider than the Arch is OK, but I don't want narrower. I'm not a weight weenie. Tubeless compatibility is a requirement. I currently use Nevegal/Rampage, and plan on going to an Ardent and/or Conti (X King or Race King).

I emailed NoTubes and they said they're not planning on any silver rims.

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they were no longer available based on a thread I saw previously...I think on the 29er board.

Do these require the TLR rimstrip to convert to tubeless or can one use NoTubes tape and/or rim strip?

Any idea the maximum recommended spoke tension on these?

Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
JST169 said:
Nice. Thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they were no longer available based on a thread I saw previously...I think on the 29er board.

Do these require the TLR rimstrip to convert to tubeless or can one use NoTubes tape and/or rim strip?

Any idea the maximum recommended spoke tension on these?

Jeremy
Still available.

The Bonty TLR rims use the TLR rim strip to make them UST compatible (and works better than Mavic UST IME). The Stans conversions cost more and do not make it UST spec.
Using standard tires without a tube is a crap shoot no matter what.

I use my usual 115-125Kgf

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The rim strips make them super easy to mount tires, I don't know about tape or Stans rim strip as there would be no reason since the TLR strip makes them work awesome. I saw that rumor too about them not being sold anymore, but have yet to see a confirmation.

As far as maximum tension, here is what I have found
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=tm_1

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Shiggy and mtnbiker72. I'm going to look a bit more into the Dusters and see if it's for me.

Happy trails!

Jeremy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts