Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slow and far from peak fitness, but I think I'm going to do the Silver Rush on Saturday.

What tires should I run?

I have:
Maxxis Ignitor 2.35
Hutch Python 2.0
IRC Serac 2.1

all are UST. Can someone make a recommendation?
thanks

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
homerjay said:
I'm slow and far from peak fitness, but I think I'm going to do the Silver Rush on Saturday.

What tires should I run?

I have:
Maxxis Ignitor 2.35
Hutch Python 2.0
IRC Serac 2.1

all are UST. Can someone make a recommendation?
thanks
I would use the Maxxis tires (though they are good either way but the Maxxis will give you options as the course is usually dry then wet by the end of the day. I am running 2.5's on a SS so I like agressive but am giving opinions on what I think would be best for you). That said I would go in this order;
1) Maxxis Ignitor 2.35
2) IRC Serac 2.1
3) Hutch Python 2.0
All are great tires and if you are also doing the 100 I would make the 3rd tire the 1st and vise virsa for that event. Best of luck to you!!
Cheers,
miSSionary

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
homerjay said:
No worries about those big 2.35s making me even slower than I really am? (which is slow)

Thanks so much for your help.
Well the 2.35s will help on the rocky turrain and will also help if the weather goes south. There are lots of babyheads on the course that they would also help with. If you are looking to set any land speed records then I would go with the Hutch 2.0's, if you want comfort than use the 2.35's...if you want inbetween use the 2.1's (the course is fairly fast mining roads compared to true single track, that is why you can get away with such large variety of choice when it comes to tires there). They are all good enough tires for the course so don't worry too much and remember this is all just my opinion. Good luck to you!! :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
how about Ingightor 1.95s?

That's what i have on there now. And what about those babyheads? My post on Frontrange elicited a response saying not to worry about too many babyheads & cobbles, etc. ??

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
jimmy said:
That's what i have on there now. And what about those babyheads? My post on Frontrange elicited a response saying not to worry about too many babyheads & cobbles, etc. ??
The babyheads are not bad, but they are present on some of the higher parts of the course for sure. I know who replied to you (it was my GF, she is not totally wrong as a lot of the babyheads are well earthed) she got just a little confused. I do know a lot about the course and turrain, as well as being very close to race management. Use what you are used to (the ignightors will be fine I am sure, only problem would be if it were VERY wet)...and that goes double if you are riding those tires on Colorado's front range (the course is not nearly as tech as most trails on the front range). Hope that helps, looking forward to seeing everyone up there!! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
miSSionary

·
Registered
334 Posts
jimmy said:
Yes that was me and I'm a dork. Listen to Missionary he knows best. I just ride where he tells me to go and never let the elements phase me. :) He knows the course VERY WELL and won't sway you wrong!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
no worries

other than about finishing the ride, of course, and the weather :D . I appreciate all the comments and I did not mean to imply that anyone was not being totally straight about the course. Thank you for all the comments. And Homerjay, there will be at least 2 of us not setting records out there. Hopefully we can socialize a little with all the MTBR folks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
jimmy said:
Thank you for all the comments. And Homerjay, there will be at least 2 of us not setting records out there. Hopefully we can socialize a little with all the MTBR folks.
HEY!!...I want in...the record thing aint lookin' good this year for me either!! :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
edemtbs said:
No Record? I thought the pig lost weight?

Ed E
Pig lost weight...I lost shape!! :incazzato:
miSSionary

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bikergal said:
I hope he has seen you before??? :eek:
He has and he knows I am outta shape...I mean I keep telling him I am and I wouldn't wanna fib you know!! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions....I went with the seracs, they're my favorite racin' tires, maybe I'm a bit superstitious.

I'll have a redstone jersey on, say hello as you ride past me while I'm vomiting!

Jeff

·
2,856 Posts
Bikergal said:
I hope he has seen you before??? :eek:
Heh-heh - I was referring to that sweet bike of his all laden down with heavy chainmail, monster truck tires, etc. He told me he put the bike (pig) on a diet.

The rider himself looked to be in fine shape from pedaling around the burdened bike. :D

Ed E

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
homerjay said:
Thanks for the suggestions....I went with the seracs, they're my favorite racin' tires, maybe I'm a bit superstitious.

I'll have a redstone jersey on, say hello as you ride past me while I'm vomiting!

Jeff
Ooooh, I'll have on a Redstone Jersey too (either the old retro blue and white or the orange and black woolie), we can wave at eachother!! :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
edemtbs said:
Heh-heh - I was referring to that sweet bike of his all laden down with heavy chainmail, monster truck tires, etc. He told me he put the bike (pig) on a diet.

The rider himself looked to be in fine shape from pedaling around the burdened bike. :D

Ed E
Yeah silly me I should have known you were talking about the bike:D

Yes she is on a diet. TOTALLY RIGID NOW!!! Much lighter and no your not going to convince him to change the tires. :nono: :D I've tried!!!

Hopefully we can meet soon Ed. I hear your name ALOT.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
edemtbs said:

Ed E
Shhhh!!!!...Ed be vewy qwiet...The fat pig, she's sensative now days :)out:)...the diet does seem to be doing her some good though!! :D Hey, did you get the Hopey here in Denver (kinda getting my attention as the steering is just "loose feeling" now that I am rigid)?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bikergal said:
Hopefully we can meet soon Ed. I hear your name ALOT.
She does hear your name a lot Ed...when I come home and say; "That [email protected] Ed...he's too fast now...see this pic of my friend Ed getting all this recognition and all those goodies baby?...One day that could be ME if I eat my wheaties!"...:D

Well babe, you can't meet Ed THIS weekend, he ditched Leadville for now!! :prft:

Good luck at your race Ed, I wanna see pics and hear another great write-up from you!! :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.