Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard how great the Silver Moccasin trail is, but where is it on the San Gabriel Mtns/Angeles Crest map and exactly how long is it? I has hoping to throw it into a cool epic ride soon and wanted some advice on routes, terrain and distances. I don't mind long fire road climbs as long as the DH is all ST. I like technical ST, too. To give you an idea of what type of epic I'd like to put together, here's one I just did this week with a couple of buddies.

We started on Loma Alta Dr from Lake,
Climbed up Chaney Tr through the gate at the right and continued on the paved/fire road until we came to the fork just before Inspiration Pt,
Descended the upper ST,
rode the ST connector to Sunset Trail,
Descended to Millard Campground,
Ascended some fire road for a bit,
Descended El Prieto and ended up at JPL then rode back to our trucks.

It was about 21/22 miles with about 4500' ascended. It took us about 3 1/2 hours.

Does anyone have any cool epic riding routes incorporating the Silver Moccasin?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I've ridden from Chilao to JPL, I'll let you figure out the details, including how to incorporate Silver Mocc.

I've also ridden from Big Bear to Palm Springs. Now THAT'S an epic.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've hit Silver Moccasin thru Chilao, you can go either direction thru the campground and make a big figure eight.
The Strawberry peak ( josehine?) loop is good. Maybe throw in Grizzly also?

xx

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
That is a nice loop, but you were never near Silver Moccasin Trail.

Regretabily, East of Three Points, Silver Moccasin shares the trail with Pacific Crest Trail. I have started at Three Points: down to Chilao, over to Vetter and across to Highway 2 at Shortcut. I have never taken SM down to into West Fork/Rincon Red Box, maybe someone else can help out from there. My feeling is that I should not go down into that canyon without a fresh set of legs..it does not seem like there is a easy way back out.

Dean

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ride around Chilao/ Hillyer a fair amount. SM is fun/ casual terrain up there (tho since being back in CA I’ve yet to totally clear dab-free the Horse Flats –to- Chilao section).

Hey Dstepper-- I have not in recent years ridden down Vetter to Shortcut- --- - how is that section? And from West Fork, I’d not ride UP the Silver Moc- I’d take the fire road to Newcomb’s Saddle. The ST from West Fork to Devore is stream bed filled bo

OT- I rode yesterday (for the first time) the single-track from the summit of Vetter down to Charlton Flat. The first ½ mile or so is in hideous condition. The trail is essentially one continuous erosion rut due to mountain bikers. I've ridden all over- this is the worst I've ever seen (mt bike ruined trail). Not sure if it is a coincidence- -but- - further down the trail met some guys (and their teen kids/ Eagle Scouts) building something. “Whatcha building?” says me dude says “gate to keep out mountain bikers” or some such smart assed remark (Actually, they were building benches for hikers to sit on…. ..the guys gave me/ mt bikers a tad more abuse about what happens when we ride hard (I said, “I ride gentle….. ). I bit my tongue- those asshats really deserved thier bad vibes returned, but at my old age, I now try to be an Ambassador to the sport...

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
RockitJeff said:
I Hey Dstepper-- I have not in recent years ridden down Vetter to Shortcut- --- - how is that section?

Better than it was two years ago after all that rain we had. Very ridable.

OT- I rode yesterday (for the first time) the single-track from the summit of Vetter down to Charlton Flat. The first ½ mile or so is in hideous condition. .
Vetter Singletrack has been that way since the rains two years ago. It is not MTBing that trashed the trails but the rain we had. We seem to be a easy target don't we. I don't know if you saw what the horses did to Silver Moccasin this summer near Three Points, we tried to ride it and ended up on the pavement because to was way loose.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey DStep- Yea.... the azzzhat w/ attitude needed to be taken down a notch. But what I need in my back pocket is a few days trail work m'self, so next time, I can say "hey BUD, I've shoveled for X hours on X trail", so go frrukc yerself. But I've only been back in So CA 3 mo., and have not yet donated any time effort/ shame on me. . . .

The SM from 3 points to Horse Flats seems to have weathered the horse damage OK/ I’ve ridden it a few times recently and it’s still sweet.

also- --- -is the Silver Moc from Vetter to Shortcut pretty OK? I recall it being nicely rideable from the early 90's. Also, anybody got the 411 on SM from Shortcut to West Fork? Didn't I read one o’ you guys ride from 3 points to Chantry? Which raises my next topic—gonna ride 50 miles when turn 50 (mid- March). Trying to put together an off-road 50 miler in the San Gabriels. Ride the Charleton/ Chilao/ Hillyer figure 8 for 25 miles, then take SM from Charleton out to Chantry?

·
Registered
14 Posts
did a good 40 miler

I can recommend a good 40 miler that could be stretched to 50. This last summer I did the following: Up mt lowe railway to the saddle, down the valley forge (you could go downn kenyon devore for more miles) back up to redbox, then around strawberry peak, down colby, back to redbox (wimped out and took the highway, but you could take the trail from switzers). From here back to the saddle, up/down the upper merril, middle merril and sunset. Another option would be to start and go up lower merril. (I will only go up this since there are many hikers). The elevation on this loop was 7,000 ft.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey 55- ---- that's some good riding. how is the descent down the Valley Forge trail? didn't i also read recently that the Rattlesnake Trail down Mt. Wilson is in good shap/ good riding ? (snow willing/ which today is OK but subject to change...

but i'd also mix your route up a bit and ride down red box to swizters, then up josephine fire road and around strawberry. but- --- -in all my years of san gab mt biking, i've not ridden that colby trail down strawberry peak back to ACH/ hiway 2. how IS that trail? sorta like middle merril or sunset ridge?

and keep those 50 mile ride ideas coming- except, i like the idea of cheating and starting in the high country, so i have a tad less elevation gain (plus more time spent in the high country). also- ---if my 50 mile/ 50th birthday ride includes portions of the Pretty Cool Trail, i won't be talking about it here. . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
50 miler

RJ,

Valley Forge was in excellent shape. I believe the OTB group did trail maint on it at the begining of the summer. The Kenyon trail is also very good and so seldom ridden, (lots of uphill for a quick 2,300 feet of drop in 3.5 mi.). It is very exposed! As a point of clarification we rode stawberry "backwards" starting at Redbox and going counter clockwise to colby so as to maximize the ST. Colby is sooo sweet! It is probably more technical than sunset and very worth the price of admission.

Have you explored the lower areas below Valley Forge, perhaps the link up with Rim trail?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i think the Rim Trail is a) hard to access- locked gate ? and b) washed out at the exposed sections. non-ridable and maybe even dicey afoot? but Valley Forge, then SM to Red Box, up the fire road to Newcomb Saddle and singetrack out to Chantry would be a good way to loop the front range (I presume ascending via Mt Lowe Fire Road)

i am jonesing hard, i was gone from CA for 10 years. now- too many rides/not enuff time. not enuff fitness, either

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've done a SM shuttle starting at 3 points and ending at Chantry (we also rode the Hilyer loop). From Hwy 2 we took Shortcut cyn dirt road down and then up to Newcomb saddle. I know someone who hiked the SM section down shortcut cyn and said it was almost all hike-a-bike. I rode/hiked it about 5yrs ago and it had a lot of walking back then. The SM from Westfork up to Rincon rd is mostly hike-a-bike also.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,436 Posts
Sunday we did a similar ride, Started at the same place, Chaney Tr, rode the fire road (Mt. Lowe?) all the way to Mt. Wilson road, crossed the road and rode down Valley Forge then rode back up Gabrielino trail then back down Redbox and out. 6 1/2 hours with very little stopping....long day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stawberry Peak Loop to Red Box. Up the highway to Rattlesnake (Kenyon Devore). Down to Gabrielano to West Fork Campground. Then up the fireroad to Red Box and then finish with the downhill to Switzers. About 30 miles. Rattlesnake is in good shape now. One creek crossing is a little tuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like I'll have to research more on the map before I do some exploring on the trails this weekend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
..i love dreaming of epics. i fully intend to ride every one listed on this thread in '07 (plus variations upon variations...)

so .. a good'n would be park at Red Box, pavement to Rattlesnake/ down Rattlesnake. up Gabrieleno trail (or fire road) back to Red Back back up to Markem Saddle, down Valley Forge and back up Gabrieleno trail (or fire road) to Red Box. A double loop. A good one for a warm spring day since all is North facing...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I've ridden from Chilao to JPL, I'll let you figure out the details, including how to incorporate Silver Mocc.

I've also ridden from Big Bear to Palm Springs. Now THAT'S an epic.

It took us about two or three years but we finally followed your's 'Matt's and I think Nates route. We did this same ride and it was a blast!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts